New Capsule for AKG 414B-ULS?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

outoftune

is there anyone (besides AKG) who currently makes an aftermarket replacement capsule for an AKG C414 B-ULS TLII?

I have one on the bench and the capsule is very dirty and shutting down with any hot breath on it.

Well, if you're considering replacing it "anyway", i guess you don't have much to lose by giving cleaning it a shot.

i was able to get one side useable in cardioid by cleaning it, will check out tim for a replacement thanks!

Khron said:
Well, if you're considering replacing it "anyway", i guess you don't have much to lose by giving cleaning it a shot.

Definitely,
I would clean it and then get rig of possible humidity in the capsule.

I clean it with distilled water and a very very soft brush.
Then I put it in front of a dehumidifier all night or inside a sealed plastic case with silica gel bags for 1 week.

See the Neumann doc attached

There's also this thread:

https://groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=22287.msg263439#msg263439

pics in the thread are gone , but I have the original one woth pictures saved in my hardrive and I can send you over email if you need it

Attachments

• Neumann info0028 - Capsule Cleaning.PDF
    114.1 KB · Views: 24
gyraf said:
Tim makes some nice replacements..

Jakob E.

To elaborate on this one, Tim makes an excellent recreation of original brass ring CK12, which is by far superior than Teflon version which started with later production of 414EB and used in ULS series. As such, in fact, Tim's capsule will not be a replacement, but a significant upgrade.

Needless to mention, this one belongs to Microphone Forum, I believe...

Best, M

Marik said:
Tim makes an excellent recreation of original brass ring CK12

I'm interested in these capsules, but who is Tim?

also, I don't know if you can just buy capsules straight from him, but I've had a good experience with Land Audio Service getting my C414 repaired

Marik said:
Tim makes an excellent recreation of original brass ring CK12, which is by far superior than Teflon version which started with later production of 414EB and used in ULS series.

As such, in fact, Tim's capsule will not be a replacement, but a significant upgrade.

Hello Marik, thank you so much for your input and explanation.

I have 2 modern 414 models, one 414 XLII and one 414 XLS.
Do you think Tim's capsule would also be a significant upgrade on this microphones.

If so, what could I be expecting as improvements?

Thank you so much

Whoops said:
See the Neumann doc attached

There's also this thread:

https://groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=22287.msg263439#msg263439

pics in the thread are gone , but I have the original one woth pictures saved in my hardrive and I can send you over email if you need it
thank you for the document, i will email you about the pictures.

Cleaning these cpasules can be tricky, it's not the best capsule for the first time cleaning.  The older the worse to clean.
Maybe Danny (Poctop) would be able to reskin it?
Thiersch don't reskin these capsule.

Marik said:
To elaborate on this one, Tim makes an excellent recreation of original brass ring CK12, which is by far superior than Teflon version which started with later production of 414EB and used in ULS series. As such, in fact, Tim's capsule will not be a replacement, but a significant upgrade.

Needless to mention, this one belongs to Microphone Forum, I believe...

Best, M

It depends - both capsules sounds different, and both are great. Maybe except the very first versions of teflon capsules. Upgrade? Depends...
Many times "teflon" capsules were much more universal for the different sound sources than brass Ck12.
Years ago i considered it as an upgrade, but very quickly i put back teflon capsule to my EB P48.
Anyway Tim capsule is Über great!

Matt C said:
I'm interested in these capsules, but who is Tim?

also, I don't know if you can just buy capsules straight from him, but I've had a good experience with Land Audio Service getting my C414 repaired

http://www.timcampbell.dk/index2b.htm

Whoops said:
Hello Marik, thank you so much for your input and explanation.

I have 2 modern 414 models, one 414 XLII and one 414 XLS.
Do you think Tim's capsule would also be a significant upgrade on this microphones.

If so, what could I be expecting as improvements?

Thank you so much

Not Marik, but hope it would be helpfull ;)
Modern "XL" series 414 using pretty high polarisation voltages - if i remember correctly something ca. 90V.
Tim capsule rather wouldn't handle it. Instead improvement rather broken capsule.
Another thing is that, even with modification of polarisation voltage drop, with brass CK12 it would be too bright.

Latest posts

Back