Bv8,12,11 replica - Support Thread

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Moby

www.mobytransformers.com BV.8, Bv.11, Bv.12, T14/1
GDIY Supporter
Hey guys, I started this thread to keep you informed about the progress and later for support in assembling, experimenting, etc.
As you probably know, the most challenging part of this project is design of the bobbin tool and it took me most of the time to make it perfect. Actually, I used the local tool maker shop service and they are still fighting with some minor issues. 
Alternative option was 3D printing, but I was not so happy with that option because it doesn't look as the original and the material can't be the same.
So, here are some pictures of the tool. Wish me luck, I expect some good news today because they do corrections in  the design and I expect after 2 months of waiting to be as done.
IMG-4b22ca83603d7b5dd886e657eb6f416b-V.jpg

IMG-626ef8f873169390b02d95292ff54666-V.jpg

IMG-f10e8c0aa3f319ba66a08d23694d54a4-V.jpg

IMG-5a2b52ce656be5b3559456705ffb86ce-V.jpg

EDIT: Added drawing with dimensions and electrical connection/color code

41073696562_f94f372880_o.jpg

39441214940_e7e5d851a7_o.jpg

So what exactly is this "bobbin tool" for? Making the bobbins themselves, or winding them, or..?

Khron said:
So what exactly is this "bobbin tool" for? Making the bobbins themselves, or winding them, or..?
Making the bobbins.
Edit:  Neumann used custom shaped, non standard bobbins in their UI30/25 transformers range. All todays recreations use modified or similar shaped bobbins (withouth 4 chambers or with inserts). This series will use original shaped and more important original material bobbins. But it has a price. Custom plastics injection tool.... ;)

Khron said:
"And more important original material"? Because it affects the sound, or..?
I.never tried to measure diference between bobbin materials but besides its coil body it serves as the isolator between sections (bv.08, bv.11). So, its possible to have some influence to the sound. I dont think its so important, but why not go bit deeper with the project  if its possible?

Murdock said:
Don't want to sound impatient, but is everything going well?  ::)
Hey, thanks for asking, happy new year. Its moving slowly. Finally toolmaker sucseed with bobbins. I wait for the right material version (it has to be transparent) and winding will start.

Attachments

• IMG-e7e2b7913eddc68cb3e69dff90c8588e-V.jpg
    IMG-e7e2b7913eddc68cb3e69dff90c8588e-V.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 114
If you want to see some more progress photos, please check here.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/YeFuQGEWlrvVNo6O2
Mostly failures,, but thats usuall with plastic molding tools.

Checked out the Google drive photos and this is amazing!

I know nothing about plastics so I Googled it to get an idea. Plastic pellets into your injection tool that heats and injects the molten plastic into your bobbin tool?

Does your tool do two pieces at a time? How long does it take to cool before you can repeat the process? I'm super impressed.

Delta Sigma said:
Checked out the Google drive photos and this is amazing!

I know nothing about plastics so I Googled it to get an idea. Plastic pellets into your injection tool that heats and injects the molten plastic into your bobbin tool?

Does your tool do two pieces at a time? How long does it take to cool before you can repeat the process? I'm super impressed.
thanks. 4 pieces at once. It goes very fast :) just a  few sec to cool down.

Man , this is simply fascinating.
Custom tooling for bobbin , and just look at those "rasty" lams.You nailed it.

sasarist said:
Man , this is simply fascinating.
Custom tooling for bobbin , and just look at those "rasty" lams.You nailed it.
thanks for support. My goal was to make it best possible. It takes time and energy but there is no other way to make it  right.

Moby,

it is really great to see the process development in the photos.
It gives an insight and already provides a feeling connection to the product.

It is a long time since I had any such tooling made up. I can see the hard work here.
Really impressive, thank you.

tony

tony hunt said:
Moby,

it is really great to see the process development in the photos.
It gives an insight and already provides a feeling connection to the product.

It is a long time since I had any such tooling made up. I can see the hard work here.
Really impressive, thank you.

tony

Back