Bv8,12,11 replica - Support Thread

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Transformers arrived  today.  Stacking will begin this weekend. Thanks Moby, you did a great job. Keep up the good work!!

tardishead said:
Has anyone else fired up a transformer yet?
And Misha what alloy was your transformer made from?
Fired up a 50/50  stacked bv8 in an ef12k mic (schematic I received from Andreas Grosser) with a k67 style mxl  capsule (only temporary till I get a proper m7 or k47). I Did a four hour vocal session with great results.  I will be stacking the full ni78 in the second transformer tonight and hopefully do some more recording tomorrow.

tardishead said:
Any more stories to share?
Hi guys, yes, please give some more stories. People start to purchase new transformers, but I would really like to hear more from you. Thanks :)

Hi Moby, one question to BV11 configuration...
Pleas see the attached pic. Are my thoughts about primary (+ and -) and secondary (+ and -) correct?

Thanks

Milan

Attachments

• m49 transformer.jpg
    m49 transformer.jpg
    120.5 KB · Views: 133
Vac11 said:
Hi Moby, one question to BV11 configuration...
Pleas see the attached pic. Are my thoughts about primary (+ and -) and secondary (+ and -) correct?

Thanks

Milan
Hi Milan, sorry for the late response. Yes, it looks Ok

Hi all,

I finally had a chance to test Moby’s BV.08 transformer in a U47 rebuild against a pretty stock 1952 Telefunken/Neumann U47.  First off, all I can say is Moby NAILED it.

Both microphones are spec’d pretty close.  They each have very quiet VF14’s, Bosch MP capacitors, original wire wound resistors and a mix of CC and some MF resistors.  The 1952 U47 has an original M7 PVC re-skin by Thiersch and the rebuild has a Thiersch Blue Line PVC capsule.  Both head baskets are chrome.

The 1952 U47 has an early horizontal BV.08 and the rebuild now has Moby’s BV.08 with the 50/50% “trim to taste” lamination option.  BTW: Moby was extremely generous with his time and helpful when I had questions about stacking the laminations to match the other microphone.

The power supplies are quite similar, with one being an original unregulated PSU next to a new, historically correct unregulated PSU.

I will say that based on my initial listen, they sound amazingly close.  The midrange coloration/distortion on the rebuild is practically identical to the 1952 U47.  I’ve heard a U47 with a Haufe BV.08 replacement transformer and this one is considerably closer and smoother-sounding.  That’s really impressive!

Don’t get me wrong and I’m not knocking the Haufe which sounds very good, but Moby’s BV.08 sounds pretty much the same as the original.  And it’s no surprise, especially considering the great lengths Moby had to take in order to make this production happen.  I believe we have a real gift here. 

Frankly, I wonder how much of the small differences are due to the brand-new Thiersch capsule versus the re-skinned original M7 which was done in 2009.  To me, the original capsule seems a touch softer on top and maybe a tiny bit fuller on the bottom.

Anyway, this is only my take and both transformers are definitely part of the same family.  The rest is just splitting hairs.  You’d be hard-pressed to tell which is which in a solo’d recording and maybe no way in a dense mix.

Awesome job, Moby!

Best,

Greg

litespeedgreg said:
Hi all,

I finally had a chance to test Moby’s BV.08 transformer in a U47 rebuild against a pretty stock 1952 Telefunken/Neumann U47.  First off, all I can say is Moby NAILED it.

Both microphones are spec’d pretty close.  They each have very quiet VF14’s, Bosch MP capacitors, original wire wound resistors and a mix of CC and some MF resistors.  The 1952 U47 has an original M7 PVC re-skin by Thiersch and the rebuild has a Thiersch Blue Line PVC capsule.  Both head baskets are chrome.

The 1952 U47 has an early horizontal BV.08 and the rebuild now has Moby’s BV.08 with the 50/50% “trim to taste” lamination option.  BTW: Moby was extremely generous with his time and helpful when I had questions about stacking the laminations to match the other microphone.

The power supplies are quite similar, with one being an original unregulated PSU next to a new, historically correct unregulated PSU.

I will say that based on my initial listen, they sound amazingly close.  The midrange coloration/distortion on the rebuild is practically identical to the 1952 U47.  I’ve heard a U47 with a Haufe BV.08 replacement transformer and this one is considerably closer and smoother-sounding.  That’s really impressive!

Don’t get me wrong and I’m not knocking the Haufe which sounds very good, but Moby’s BV.08 sounds pretty much the same as the original.  And it’s no surprise, especially considering the great lengths Moby had to take in order to make this production happen.  I believe we have a real gift here. 

Frankly, I wonder how much of the small differences are due to the brand-new Thiersch capsule versus the re-skinned original M7 which was done in 2009.  To me, the original capsule seems a touch softer on top and maybe a tiny bit fuller on the bottom.

Anyway, this is only my take and both transformers are definitely part of the same family.  The rest is just splitting hairs.  You’d be hard-pressed to tell which is which in a solo’d recording and maybe no way in a dense mix.

Awesome job, Moby!

Best,

Greg
Dear Greg, thanks a lot for detailed and honest test report. Cheers

Winetree said:
On a 50/50 mixture of ni49 and ni78 lams do you stack every other one or
Top half of stack one and bottom half of stack the other?
Every other. So, one U+I ni78, than one Ni49 U+I.

Hey Moby,

Didn't realize there were different lams available when I placed my order. Are you sending an assortment and we pick or is anything standardized yet? Talking about the BV08

Latest posts

Back