Bv8,12,11 replica - Support Thread

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
JW said:
Hey Moby,

Didn't realize there were different lams available when I placed my order. Are you sending an assortment and we pick or is anything standardized yet? Talking about the BV08
Hey, standard option was Ni78 lamination and also there was option to purchase extra Ni49 lamination package.

On U47 schematic, the secondaries have white as hi and blue as low.

Is that the case with your transformer Moby? Appears from the diagram that blue is hi and white low.

JW said:
On U47 schematic, the secondaries have white as hi and blue as low.

Is that the case with your transformer Moby? Appears from the diagram that blue is hi and white low.
Just follow the schematics. Transformers are identical to the originals.
Don't be confused with the electrical/windings arrangement diference.

Back at this again. Maybe a dumb question, but is it okay for the laminations to be connected  with mic body? I was thinking it would mess with the magnetism, but perhaps not? A couple pictures I've seen of Max's MKU47 shows the transformer screws seemingly going through the lams and mounting to part of the mic body.

Trying to figure out how to mount in the bottom bell.

JW said:
Back at this again. Maybe a dumb question, but is it okay for the laminations to be connected  with mic body? I was thinking it would mess with the magnetism, but perhaps not? A couple pictures I've seen of Max's MKU47 shows the transformer screws seemingly going through the lams and mounting to part of the mic body.

Trying to figure out how to mount in the bottom bell.

It is mounted the same way in the original.

Moby said:
Every other. So, one U+I ni78, than one Ni49 U+I.

In this method, since you're alternating sides when stacking anyway (like in video), it's aligning one side all Ni78 and the other Ni49. Just verifying this is correct? They are equal top to  bottom, but they aren't alternating like flipping sides? Just all Ni78 on one side of the windings and all Ni49 on the other?

Thanks for the help!

Just realized that the stacking video is a BV11. Is a BV08 also 34 U's and I's?  Now I'm lost with lots of laminations everywhere.

Oh!. Just realized the very first "U"  lamination you insert is actually not on the bottom. It's actually the one on the right that you slip underneath. I was coming out on the wrong end there.

Edit: Ah. Now I can't tell. Which U is on the bottom, the left or right one?

Okay,

I get it now. Moby, I think there's a stacking error in that stacking tutorial video. At 3:15 you drop an "I" "oops" and the sequence gets messed up. Which explains why the last lamination ended up on the left side, when you started on the left side.

??

JW said:
Okay,

I get it now. Moby, I think there's a stacking error in that stacking tutorial video. At 3:15 you drop an "I" "oops" and the sequence gets messed up. Which explains why the last lamination ended up on the left side, when you started on the left side.

??
Haha, yes, right. I was too lazy to repeat it, it's really hard to assemble with the camera in front. But all is clear, not a big deal. One U, one I and so on .... ;) edit: yes, same for the Bv.08 and Bv.11

Moby, I have to say here : your BV8 transformers are the best on the Earth at the moment. Congrats bro....Forget about AMI.. Sorry Oliver (RIP)

o3misha said:
Moby, I have to say here : your BV8 transformers are the best on the Earth at the moment. Congrats bro....Forget about AMI.. Sorry Oliver (RIP)
Dear Misha, thank you so much for your kind words and your support. It means so much to me.

I had the Moby BV.12 next to a new Neumann BV.12 with a Neumann capsule and they were extremely close in sound.  If I had to say there was any difference, it'd be the Neumann being slightly more mid-centric, and the Moby being a little more exciting on the top and bottom.  I could only tell that difference  from comparing controlled samples; a tube change is a bigger difference.  Inductances and resistances were very close too, with both being in the zone for the original BV.12 winding data sheet.  I'd have no problem putting the Moby version in any original Neumann U67 repair; I'd never think twice about it.  It is the exact size and mounting method of the real thing.  Recommended; I like it!

EmRR said:
I had the Moby BV.12 next to a new Neumann BV.12 with a Neumann capsule and they were extremely close in sound.  If I had to say there was any difference, it'd be the Neumann being slightly more mid-centric, and the Moby being a little more exciting on the top and bottom.  I could only tell that difference  from comparing controlled samples; a tube change is a bigger difference.  Inductances and resistances were very close too, with both being in the zone for the original BV.12 winding data sheet.  I'd have no problem putting the Moby version in any original Neumann U67 repair; I'd never think twice about it.  Recommended; I like it!
Thanks a lot on your review! 

I seem to be a bit late to these threads . .  (didn't do much DIY in the last couple years) .. but I'm keen to learn if more of these transformers are available / coming?

Cheers,
Evan

Hey guys, sorry for the delayed response and thanks for support :) Yes, feel free to contact me I have all  "the guys" on stock all together with some other models.
Keep safe!

I have used Mobys bv12, bv11 and bv08 in my builds with fantastic results. I have built 2 67 clones with Neumann k67s and one of them has the Moby bv12 and the other the haufe. The one with the Moby is much closer in sound to the vintage one I compared it to. Really nice mids with a very flattering “grain”. The one with the haufe sounds closer to the current reissue...very similar but cleaner and a touch more “sterile”. Similar findings I had comparing the bv11 and 08 to the AMI offerings. There was more “vibe” and “roundness” with mobys...the AMIs sounded cleaner, more “modern”. The AMIs are excellent transformers, no question about it, but I prefer mobys offerings.

Latest posts

Back