LED meter

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
PRR said:
It will be incredibly hard to beat the Neve 192 plan for cost and parts-count. Load the output with 1K, you get 0-1V for over 40dB of input range. Trim your '339 thresholds for the steps you like.
Do you have any higher resolution pic by any chance?

abbey road d enfer said:
Look there, page 2
https://groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=49634.msg762968#msg762968
Almost textbook application, except R2 and R20.
That's a dual supply design, isn't it?

Bill Wilson said:
For a 5 led meter this is what you want. KA2284/KA2285
Maximum voltage for these is only 16V but even if I overcome this issue I'm not sure how these can be set for -20dB to +28dB range.

Thank you for all your suggestions!

warpie said:
Maximum voltage for these is only 16V but even if I overcome this issue I'm not sure how these can be set for -20dB to +28dB range.

Thank you for all your suggestions!

As I mentioned earlier, you simply pad the audio signal down so it falls within the range of the power supply.

Cheers

Ian

abbey road d enfer said:
No, single 24V rail.

On the schematic the LM339s are powered from +VD, which appears to be +15V. But they could easily be  powered from a +24V rail.
However, the 4559 (1/2U4) and the TL072 (1/2U7) are fed with +/-15V. Am I missing something? Most likely I am, so I should rephrase the question in "what am I missing?" :) 

ruffrecords said:
As I mentioned earlier, you simply pad the audio signal down so it falls within the range of the power supply.

Cheers

Ian
Yes I realise that. What I meant is I can't see how I can scale the LEDs on KA2284 so as the lower one will display -20dB and the highest +28db. I think they are "pre-scaled", if that makes sense.

warpie said:
On the schematic the LM339s are powered from +VD, which appears to be +15V.
Correct, I had forgotten about the 15V regulator that was necessary to keep a stable reference.

But they could easily be  powered from a +24V rail.
Yes

However, the 4559 (1/2U4) and the TL072 (1/2U7) are fed with +/-15V.
That is correct. They provide other functions than LED meteing.

Am I missing something? Most likely I am, so I should rephrase the question in "what am I missing?" :) 
I don't know. You wrote "I want a single rail is because I want to keep the LEDs separate from the  audio rails." The LED meter I show works out of a single rail.

What is the purpose of the 4559 and the TL072? As far as I can tell, If I use only the schematic on the 2nd page, the signal is not rectified.

warpie said:
Yes I realise that. What I meant is I can't see how I can scale the LEDs on KA2284 so as the lower one will display -20dB and the highest +28db. I think they are "pre-scaled", if that makes sense.

I think the short answer is they cannot. Looks like the ratio between the comparator voltages in that device are fixed. As you say, they are pre-scaled. Ypu probably need to use a discrete comparator solution.

Cheers

Ian

ruffrecords said:
Ypu probably need to use a discrete comparator solution.

Yes, that's the "easy" part and I think I have figured it out. What puzzles me is to find an efficient way to rectify the signal with a single supply.

Still working on that though, haven't given up yet  8)

warpie said:
What is the purpose of the 4559 and the TL072?
The full schematic is a limiter/compressor.

As far as I can tell, If I use only the schematic on the 2nd page, the signal is not rectified.
Well, you have to find a way to rectify the voltage. Think how it was done with vacuum tubes, which were single-rail.

warpie said:
Yes, that's the "easy" part and I think I have figured it out. What puzzles me is to find an efficient way to rectify the signal with a single supply.

AC couple it to an op-amp whose input is biased up to half the supply voltage?

warpie said:

I answered this once before, in this thread...

JR

JRsaid said:
In general to perform AC functions (like rectification) from a single rail voltage establish a usable v/2 (12V). +/- 12v will handle most audio signals but perhaps incorporate -6dB in the input stage to prevent clipping. 

Yeah, that's what I'm trying to do actually... I think I'm getting somewhere.

I think I'm getting somewhere.

Am I?  :)

EDIT: It's just a modification of the "Universal Bargraph Driver" circuit, designed a few years back by SSLtech if I'm not mistaken.

Attachments

• rect_02.jpg
    rect_02.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 44
You can  use the leftover opamp to buffer the 1/2 voltage. Tying it to one of the supply voltages isn't optimum, either use it as a buffer or put it somewhere between V+ and ground.

Thanks for the suggestion Volker. Does it look any better now? Also, do you reckon I should leave the C6 (10uF)?

Attachments

• rect_02b.jpg
    rect_02b.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 21
volker said:
You can  use the leftover opamp to buffer the 1/2 voltage. Tying it to one of the supply voltages isn't optimum, either use it as a buffer or put it somewhere between V+ and ground.
In the proposed schemo, there's absolutely no advantage in buffering Vcc/2, since it goes only to non-inverting inputs. However, this circuit needs smoothing in order to provide the correct ballistics; this would require additional circuitry that may require a stiffer Vcc/2.
Anyway, the major issue there is that the rectified voltage is referenced to Vcc/2; in order to get a correct indication from the LED meter, one needs to get rid of this DC component. Admittedly, it could be done by rearranging the resistor string so the meter range starts at Vcc/2, or it could be done in a differential stage.
There are easier ways to get a rectified (and smoothed) signal and referencing it to 0V.

Attachments

• full wave rectifier single rail.jpg
    full wave rectifier single rail.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 38
Thanks Abbey. I joined your two schematics and the simulation gave me the following plots. Do they look correct?

I will breadboard it but I'd like to come as close as possible to the final version because ordering the components and mainly the shipping costs is a bit of an issue and ideally I'd like to place one order for everything.

Vcc = +24V

Attachments

• sim_3.jpg
    sim_3.jpg
    187.6 KB · Views: 35
Back