New A/D/A conundrum

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

signalflow

Hello all,

Been awhile since I've been on here. DIY has taken a back seat for awhile but I'm slowly getting back to it.

On a different note. I'm about to spend some cash on new conversion. Right now I have an RME HDSP 96/52.  I was looking at either the new Orion 32+ or the MOTU 24Ai & Ao. I'd like to have the high input count as I do varring sized projects plus I come out to an analog console to mix depending on the project.  I'd also looked at the alpha links from SSL but have heard that the Madi card is no longer supported which is a bummer. I'm just having a difficult time coming to a conclusion and thought my brothers (& sisters?) in audio could help me out. I'm looking at a cap out between 2500 and 3000 so just keep that in mind.

Thanks,

-Casey

I don't know about others, but I personally won't buy an audio interface with ADAT connectivity as part of the total channel count.
In a situation where the number of channels available really matter and the clients insist of doing it at higher sample rates, I really don't want to sacrifice one, let alone two or four.

You can get the alphalink with aes so you don't need to use madi.  They can be expensive new and have some reliability  issues though.

The best bang for the buck  right now imo is a used lynx aurora. I might be a bit biased though since I use them.  But I've used various ones before getting them.

What software and what interface are you going to use, the rme,  USB,  pro tools HD,  etc.  That will influence the decision.

I've been thinking hard about this all day. I think I'm going to go with the RME HDSPe MADI with an SSL alpha link. I've been happy with my 96/52 over the years so it makes sense to stay with them.

-Casey

I Love the sound of the new Focusrite RED4 Pre and RED8 Pre.

Great conversion and great preamps. You can expand it to a much larger system with the in built Dante connectivity

I have a Motu 24ao and 1248 and they are great! The da on the 24ao is amazing.  That being said I have other ad converters I use to print my mixes. The Motu are good for tracking but I don't love them for capturing final mixes through analog gear.  However the DA is perfect for this. If I was you I'd get the Motu 24ao and some other ad converters.

Back