WAV to MP3 conversion driving me nuts - need help

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VacuumVoodoo

Hi Guys,

This is drives me crazy.
Got some WAV democlips for my guitaramp. Done in a studio direct to HD with ProTools on Mac, WAV output format.

The WAVS play fine in QT, Winamp; WMP refuses to play - says it needs a codec but doesn't which one.

The real problem is I can not get any MP3 encoder to work, Magix mp3 Titanium simply crashes, DBpowerAmp unable to find a codec... everything based on Lame encoder doesn't work. Same codec problem as with WMP.

Studio says they can burn an standad audio CD instead to rip it to mp3 but i would like to avoid multiple conversion steps.

I have uploaded a 3MB wav to my site if anyone of you guys would be interested to try to mp3 encode this and tell me if/how to do it.

3MB WAV to try - rightclick and "Save as"

I know it's not exactly the mainstream of The Lab and the intended commercial nature of this project is perhaps not really strictly a D.I.Y but i really DIYed this thing.

I'll be greatful for any help/comments/tips

I tried to convert 24bit wav to 16bit wav - sounds crap, heavily distorted + pulsing noise after conversion. Used dBpowerAmp Music Converter to do it.

Thanks for quick reply

ah yea it was 24 bit / try sound forge , im sure they have a demo
or something ,

also you might try the mp3 @ 256k (< most mp3 encoders give you

this option 56/128/256 so on an so on (just incase your encodin @ 56k)

?\

hope this helps

windows media player is a pile of CRAP. always some codec not found. i'd say its not your file, but the player being so selective about file types and formats its not going to play it.

any particular reason you've got to use wmp? why not just export out of QT a mp3, or go back to the HD box and bouce out an mp3?

t

Have you tried iTunes?

How many files do you need to convert? If it's only a couple I can do it for you, if you want...

Peace,
Al.

[quote author="alk509"]Have you tried iTunes?

How many files do you need to convert? If it's only a couple I can do it for you, if you want...

Peace,
Al.[/quote]

Thanks for the offer Al.
I don't have iTunes.
There are 13 files between 1.5 to 3.5MB each and one 28MB file so I think it is too much too ask of You as a favour.

I shall be getting 16-bit files from the studio later today/tomorrow and hopefully this should work. I tried converting some other 16bit wavs and had no problem.

Should this not work out then I'll choose a few most representative soundclips and take You up on the offer.

I would appreciate very much if You could convert the file from the link in the initial post and mail it to me, that way i shall be able to compare mp3 from 24-bit wav to one from 16-bit wav.

aleksander_________at________anacon-tech.com

Thanks again.

Alex

Hey,

WMP has a prob with 24bit files i think which is prolly why it won't play. I've found tho converting 24bit wavs to mp3 seems to have tighter results...

Here's your wav converted to mp3 @ 192kbps. LAME was used as the convertor...

Cheers

Latest posts

Back