DaveP

What makes a sh*thole country?
« on: January 12, 2018, 07:06:51 PM »
Here are a few suggestions from my own experience taken at random.

Guy in post office trying to sell me stamps for more than their face value.

Customs guy says,  "I don't search your case, you give me money".

When their generals got too senior, they had "helicopter accidents".

Guy with a hose on river boat hosing down deck and the taped up 3 phase cable at the same time.

Family in cabin  next to mine got on one stop earlier and put his goat and chickens in my cabin.

3rd class boat tied to the side of 2nd class, gap between the two.  Watched a woman throw her toilet bucket into the gap, while another drew her water bucket up downstream.

When we arrive at the port exit gates, police have baseball bats,  They say "we will beat the crowd back and you must run for it".
Police proceed to beat people at random, we get out safely.

Approximately $2,000,000,000 of the countries wealth ends up in a Swiss bank account for the President and family, most of the people dirt poor.

Male nurses at hospital where I worked, asking for money to bribe the government official to pay their wages.

DaveP
Soundcloud: Delayed Action.

MagnetoSound

Re: What makes a sh*thole country?
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2018, 07:24:44 PM »

How about an asshole president?

Dan

I don't think people realize what an embarrassment of riches this place is   -  Paul Gold

tands

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2018, 07:34:35 PM »
Capitalists.
healthy student

pucho812

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2018, 08:15:29 PM »
What I want to know  is was the phrase sh*thole country actually ever uttered?
There have been conflicting reports from folks who were in the room. Some say they heard it, others say they didn't, a few  just want to keep their mouth shut.
Even more interesting is the article that sparked it all basically said they heard from a source who heard from a source that it was said. What kind of journalism is that?   It's on par with the telephone game kids play.
Did he say it or not?  Do I really care? Not really. If you are risking life and limb to flee where you are from, then yeah it's a safe assumption to say your country is a sh*thole. 
« Last Edit: January 13, 2018, 10:43:35 AM by pucho812 »
Every mic has a purpose it might be a door stop or a hammer, but every mic has a purpose.

tands

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2018, 09:43:02 PM »
I'm baffled anyone would try to deny Trump said it, they're proud of it pucho. These countries are sh*tholes, and here's why.

Haiti's people rose up and iced their slavers, they've been on white western gov'ts sh*tlists ever since. El Salvador was destroyed by Reagan's (our) death squads since the 80's. I can go on.

https://twitter.com/americas_crimes

https://twitter.com/crimesofbrits

National governments and NGOs decried their actions as an affront to international maritime law, but few examined the pirates’ claim that a far greater crime continues in Somalia: the illegal dumping of toxic waste.

For more than 10 years, environmental and human rights organisations have called on the international community to act to stop this dumping, but successive wars have ensured the crisis has only deepened. Now, as Ethiopian troops withdraw from Somalia and the piracy becomes more subdued, there is hope the issue can be properly investigated and resolved.

In 1997, in the Italian magazine Famiglia Cristiana, Greenpeace published a landmark investigation into the dumping, which showed that it started in the late 1980s, and exposed Swiss and Italian companies as brokers for the transportation of hazardous waste from Europe to dumps in Somalia. Subsequent research has also shown that the company employed physically to ship the waste was wholly owned by the Somali government.

When Somalia slipped into civil war in 1992, the waste exporters had to negotiate with local clan warlords, who demanded guns and ammunition to allow the dumping to continue. Many of the ships, having brought weapons or waste, then became trawlers, and left Somali waters with holds full of tuna for onward sale.

An investigation into the murder of the Italian journalist Ilaria Alpi in Somalia in 1994 quotes the warlord Boqor Musa as saying, ‘It is evident those ships carried military equipment for different factions involved in the civil war’, and it is widely believed that Alpi was assassinated because she had incontrovertible evidence of the guns-for-waste trade.[/qupte]

https://theecologist.org/2009/mar/01/somalia-used-toxic-dumping-ground

healthy student

shabtek

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2018, 10:21:26 PM »
Why does NPR insist this is a 'rascist slur'?
"really fine players do not use stomp boxes or master volume, they match the amp to the room and turn it up to 11.  Stevie Ray, BB King, Albert King, Duane Allman, Dicky Betts, Louis Armstrong"
   -CJ

tands

healthy student

DaveP

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2018, 05:00:34 AM »
I think everyone knows that a few countries qualify for the term, it's just that we are not supposed to speak in such a direct manner anymore, even in private, it seems.

I am only 5' 8" so I have been called short arse in the past, nowadays I would be vertically challenged.  I also once had red hair which some might say was a double blow, but I survived.  Now I cherish my Scottish/Irish ginger roots!

There used to be very few fat kids in the class, maybe 1 in 40?  Then  they had to be called obese, but now that too is pejorative.

Alcoholics are encouraged to go to AA meetings and acknowledge what they are, facing up to the truth you might say.  If we can no longer handle the truth, problems don't get addressed and fixed.

I come from an older generation and culture where what Trump said would have passed without comment or shock horror.  I notice that no-one has answered his actual question yet?

Liberal politicians are falling into the same trap time after time, their angst only serves to boost Trump in the eyes of his voters.

It's like the patients are refusing the PC medicine they been forced to swallow for decades, and now the Docs are in despair.

DaveP

MagnetoSound

« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2018, 05:12:12 AM »
I come from an older generation and culture where what Trump said would have passed without comment or shock horror.

Yeah, there was slavery too. It's called progress, Dave.

Dan

I don't think people realize what an embarrassment of riches this place is   -  Paul Gold

« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2018, 08:27:05 AM »
slavery, sounds like a liberal talking point, and one As a Cherokee, I am sick of it, as are the American Irish,
you are born and have no choice what color your born, you do have a choice about how you act,
you were no slave, and I was no slave owner......time to move on pal!

DaveP

« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2018, 08:28:21 AM »
Yeah, there was slavery too. It's called progress, Dave.

Progress is subjective Dan.

I would say, freezers, washing machines and dishwashers are progress as is equality for women.

Stopping the death penalty for the likes of the Moors murderers was not.  The Police and Rochdale council being too frightened to prosecute Asian gangs drugging and raping young girls is also not progress.

DaveP

DaveP

« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2018, 08:53:33 AM »
I never took Trump's statement to be racist.

Corruption is what turns a country into a "sh*thole" and destroys  peoples lives.

Corruption occurs in all races but it's a crime in most countries.

Countries where it is tolerated leave themselves open to that epithet.

DaveP

MagnetoSound

Dan

JohnRoberts

« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2018, 10:21:43 AM »
The outrage and horror over an expletive uttered (or not), in private (supposedly),  just looks like a team politics sideshow to change the subject.

It can be hard, but try to resist taking the bait. There is still really bad stuff going on around the world every day, and the occasional positive things too. Try not to be consumed by the sewage media is pushing.

JR
John Roberts
http://circularscience.com
Tune it, or don't play it...

Scodiddly

« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2018, 11:10:36 AM »
Here are a few suggestions from my own experience taken at random.

Guy in post office trying to sell me stamps for more than their face value.

Customs guy says,  "I don't search your case, you give me money".

When their generals got too senior, they had "helicopter accidents".

(snip)

DaveP

Well, yeah. The people who are emigrating here want to get away from that crap, and bring their families with them. The people who are actually doing that corrupt stuff are perfectly happy to stay where they are. 

Recent immigrants work their butts off compared to people who've been here three generations.

DaveP

« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2018, 11:47:48 AM »
Recent immigrants work their butts off compared to people who've been here three generations.
I think you are right, but the point that has become obscured by his comment, was that the US needed top talent to get them to a higher level.  All the lower skilled jobs should really go to unemployed Americans, who's jobs have gone to China.

I think that the US will have a hard time attracting Norwegians, they have one of the best run countries in the world with national healthcare.  Crime levels are orders of magnitude lower.

DaveP

madswitcher

« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2018, 12:22:03 PM »
I think you are right, but the point that has become obscured by his comment, was that the US needed top talent to get them to a higher level.  All the lower skilled jobs should really go to unemployed Americans, who's jobs have gone to China.

DaveP

But it is not just top talent that is needed - society is hypocritical on this: how may of us buy cheap imported goods from China and  closer to home, how many folks on this forum have pcbs made in China or buy cheap mic capsules from there.   Incidentally, have you considered what happens to your valuable IPR when you have pcbs made up there - gone to the wind I suggest.

Mike

JohnRoberts

« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2018, 12:41:14 PM »
But it is not just top talent that is needed - society is hypocritical on this: how may of us buy cheap imported goods from China and  closer to home, how many folks on this forum have pcbs made in China or buy cheap mic capsules from there.   Incidentally, have you considered what happens to your valuable IPR when you have pcbs made up there - gone to the wind I suggest.

Mike
The last time I ordered PCBs from canada they arrived from China.  ::) ::)

IPR?

We (the US) have long forgotten that we were the cheap labor a few hundred years ago... copying european designs.

If the US sucked so bad there wouldn't be so many people trying to get here, but other places suck much worse.

We are way past due to correct our broken immigration system.  Last time we thought we fixed it we didn't enforce the new laws which just encouraged more to come here illegally. We still have huge competing interests that have deadlocked resolving this in the past, but seem closer than I can remember to maybe resolving this now.

I hope but don't completely trust that we have  learned our lesson from last time. (A law that is not enforced is worse than no law, because it diminishes respect for the rule of law. )

JR
John Roberts
http://circularscience.com
Tune it, or don't play it...

sodderboy

« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2018, 02:15:29 PM »
Even better than all the faux news indignation is Hillary piling on.
I have advocated  moving the UN to Haiti or Liberia for years. The international riches brought there would transform the country and free some east side waterfront for T to develop.
Mike

« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2018, 02:29:23 PM »
For many people, much of the US and Europe is a sh*thole.

I don't disagree.