you favorte capsules.

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chipss36

I wonder of all the mic builders here, what is the capsule that you have used that has impressed you the most?

for me so far its been a dale m7. in a basic  Schoeps circuit, its been a very useful mic, on many things for tracking.

That would be the very first capsule I built, an aluminum backplate  K67.
Hearing a capsule I had made for the first time was unbelievable.

TC_KK67_11.JPG

I am standing in line for Tim's capsule and i am sure i won't be disappointed.
I have one of Dale's capsules that has been through hell and back, i diy reskined one backplate (the one i don't use), and it's my favorite capsule so far. I think mine has a bit more low end than it should (due to my diy reskin process), but that doesn't bother me as midrange and high end are smooth as baby's bottom.

For 100$ i am stunned how 3u audio's latest "super smooth k87" sounds. It is designed to sound as u87 in a flat circuit. I think it shouldn't be compared to other capsules, it has it's own place and fills gap between existing usual suspects.

Delta Sigma, no that's a handmade, silicone shockmount. I once described here how to manipulate silicone in a mould with the help of dishwashing detergent :)

I made this capsule just using a drill press, some spade bits and a belt sander. I believe the membrane was from capacitor mylar.
The capsule sounded quite good. That must be getting close to 20 years ago.

After this I concentrated on CK12 capsules.

Back