Old School - Audio AnaLyzer - Is it Worth?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Whoops

GDIY Supporter
Hello,
I have the chance of buying an Audio Analyzer for a good price.

It's this unit

fIsrMWK.jpg

DPxSaNu.jpg

What do you think?
Are these type of units still useful nowadays?

There's a lot of people using software for measuring and are quite happy with the results, some people even use the REW software that is free and love it.
Is there anything I can do with this unit that I couldn't do with a system software based?

Thank you so much

Bellow you find some descriptions of the unit:

Audio Analyzer
For setting up and testing Analogue audio equipment, Such as Tape Decks, Turntables, Pre-Amplifiers & LF-Amplifiers This unit has had little use and is in good working order,
Can be used for speed & wow & flutter & azimuth tests on tape recorders, Power output tests on amplifiers.
Has built in frequency generator, 315, 400,1k, & 10 K Hz, Distortion Meter, Stereo A.C. Millivoltmeter, Stereo Wattmeter-20 to 2 watt @ 4 Ohms
External Output for Monitoring with Oscilloscope &  Frequency Counter

The AA-930 has been designed to facilitate the repair, tuning and analysis of audio frequency equipment in general, such as cassette recorders, record players, radio-cassettes, preamplifiers, low-frequency amplifiers, etc. That is why six measurement instruments that are indispensable in an audio service workshop have been combined in one piece of equipment

The AA-930 is equipped with RCA 600W and DIN 47 kW connectors for the inputs and outputs.  In addition, two BNC connectors on the front panel and two RCA connectors on the rear panel allow the user to view all of the signals measured by the instruments

LF Generator - This produces the most needed frequencies for the checking of sound equipment (315Hz, 400Hz, 1kHz and 10 kHz)

Stereo Watt Meter - With two sensitivities, 20W and 2W on an internal impedance of 4W, it measures the output stages in car radios, cassette recorders and radio-cassettes

Hi Whoops
All tools are good for specific tasks; while this is an old instrument it still has value. I can be a great learning device and stepping stone into the future.  New modern instruments can do a lot more however they need more GOLD.
Duke :)

The power meter function with its 4 ohm load impedance doesn’t seem like it would have much use in measuring pro audio equipment output, which expects to see >600 ohms. 

I also think you’d find yourself wanting lower generator frequencies than 315 Hz. Of course, you could use an external generator for that.

Guess it depends on what sort of equipment you want to measure as to how useful you’d find it.

BT

I'm guessing how useful could this be for tape machines.

It measures Wow and Flutter and also measure azimuth adjustment.

I guess the  "% Distortion" is probably THD

Whoops said:
I'm guessing how useful could this be for tape machines.

It measures Wow and Flutter and also measure azimuth adjustment.

I guess the  "% Distortion" is probably THD
Yes probably good enough to line up (old) tape recorders... 

JR

Latest posts

Back