-

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
80hinhiding said:
Has anyone else here experienced this?  Do you just try  different Power Transformers out to see what you like best for the application?

I plan to use two power transformers, one for a dual rail regulated supply for ICs, another for a single rail supply.  I'll probably get up to 1A being drawn on the single rail when the mixer is all done, so I figured 2A or 2.4A will be sufficient spec wise.

Adam

Do you have a drawing of your power supply circuit from the mains input to the op amp rails ?

80hinhiding said:
For the tests I've been using one power transformer at a time to supply the IC and the discrete circuits.  From the secondary VAC it goes to a full wave bridge rectifier, made from 1N4007 diodes.  10400uF filtering, then goes to a 120ohm power resistor to bring down the voltage since the overall load is so small right now.  I split the main rail with two 30K 1% resistors and added a couple caps.  Referenced the virtual ground for the IC.

I can draw that up later if it would help.

I realize I'll likely be better off with a regulated supply especially for the ICs, but this is what I've been trying for now.

Adam

Do you have the instrumentation to measure the actual voltages and noise / ripple accurately (at least in terms of relative values) ?

As someone who makes his living from trusting his ears I advise you to stop trusting your ears :)  You need to step up your measurement game, comparing stuff like this by ear only is a recipe for crazy. 

I'm sure you already have an audio interface and REW is free and will give you powerful FFT and distortion testing capability.  Something as simple as oscillation in one opamp will cause the exact symptoms you are hearing. 

REW, a $100 used analog scope and a halfway decent multimeter will get you very far.

Latest posts

Back