D-47 Tube Mic Kit DIY Solution

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i've build it with EF800 and 408a.
The difference with the tubes was subtle to not hearable.
The Capsule made a bigger difference in my opinion and with my experience.
In all my Tubemic builds I used the Transformers from Moby.

TillM said:
i've build it with EF800 and 408a.
The difference with the tubes was subtle to not hearable.
The Capsule made a bigger difference in my opinion and with my experience.
In all my Tubemic builds I used the Transformers from Moby.

Appreciate the response! It’s easy to think worry about the tubes.

I'll be starting very soon this beauty.
Any idea how and where to place the R3,  R5, R6, R7, R8. C2, and C3?

Is there any pre-made boards in existence?

Thanks

Kosta

Attachments

• IMG_3472.jpg
    IMG_3472.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 68
kmozart said:
Any idea how and where to place the R3,  R5, R6, R7, R8. C2, and C3?

Is there any pre-made boards in existence?

What tube? EF800?

R3 in the EF47 schemo can be mounted to the tube socket. Most others on your PCB the transformer is mounted or the arcrylic (no alcohol on the acrylic) boards.

C2 and C3 are a mystery to me. I wonder if Dany is including C2/C3 mounting boards as I've seen photos of Dany's kits with the boards hanging beside the transformer. If you mount C2/C3 on top of the board, there doesn't seem to be enough room for the tube.

I think I used one of the other transformer boards underneath the transformer to mount C2 and C3 in my build. Kind hokey but it worked and it's solid.

My body kit is a first run. It's possible he started including an option after my kit was put together.

Delta Sigma said:
What tube? EF800?

R3 in the EF47 schemo can be mounted to the tube socket. Most others on your PCB the transformer is mounted or the arcrylic (no alcohol on the acrylic) boards.

C2 and C3 are a mystery to me. I wonder if Dany is including C2/C3 mounting boards as I've seen photos of Dany's kits with the boards hanging beside the transformer. If you mount C2/C3 on top of the board, there doesn't seem to be enough room for the tube.

I think I used one of the other transformer boards underneath the transformer to mount C2 and C3 in my build. Kind hokey but it worked and it's solid.

My body kit is a first run. It's possible he started including an option after my kit was put together.

I just got the kit, couple of weeks ago, and there is no board for the c2 or c3. Do you have a picture of your build where they can be seeing? It is also unclear where they are connecting on the board at all. Trying to figure it out...

Please, I need confirmation if I did it right;

connecting Haufe BV 08 to the board:

- brown wires tied together (should I solder them on the ground pin of the transformer, or some other ground point?)
- red to p+
- black to p-
- blue to s+
- white to s-

Also, is that the plan of the placement of the c2 and c3?

Happy Holidays everyone!

Attachments

• 405C63CD-5A3C-44EA-BEFB-1D2E660311FA.jpeg
    405C63CD-5A3C-44EA-BEFB-1D2E660311FA.jpeg
    360.4 KB · Views: 54
My other dilemma is, should I use left side or right side of the parts on the picture by the acrylic. Right side umbers are 179 mohms and 174 mohms. And 10000 f capacitor. Left side  is 1gohms and .01 uf cap. I built a U47FET before with ef800 and I’m pretty sure I used right side parts. It sounds amazing.

Attachments

• 4B6FE22D-353F-484B-A79F-DBB6F2461A92.jpeg
    4B6FE22D-353F-484B-A79F-DBB6F2461A92.jpeg
    394 KB · Views: 40
I'm still not sure what build (tube option) you're building. EF800? I'm also not sure what components you're referring to in your picture, especially not knowing which tube option you picked.

Did you get the build information from Dany with the wiring diagrams? That should answer most of your questions.

Delta Sigma said:
I'm still not sure what build (tube option) you're building. EF800? I'm also not sure what components you're referring to in your picture, especially not knowing which tube option you picked.

Did you get the build information from Dany with the wiring diagrams? That should answer most of your questions.

Sorry, I’m using ef800 tube

I think I figured the capacitors, just wanna make sure I’m ok with the wiring of the transformer.

Yes I got it from Dany, there is no info for the Haufe.

There is also marking on the board showing R48 of 150M and U48 next to it. I assume it is if you are building U48. Should it be unpopulated or jumped?  I’m making U47. Than’ you!

Attachments

• C461BAE8-DDA3-4CFA-97D7-DA9C2DAF4A79.jpeg
    C461BAE8-DDA3-4CFA-97D7-DA9C2DAF4A79.jpeg
    404.2 KB · Views: 55
Can anyone elaborate on how this compares to the Flea body? Im in Germany, and importing this will basically cost the same as the Flea.... are these bodies galvanized? 

I am in Germany.
Can send you a picture of my U47 body from Dan.
I’ve some bodies I galvanized at Gleier and the quality from Dans bodys is great!

Hi All!

I'm almost done with my U47 Clone. only waiting for the binder connector on the cable power supply side.

Question I have is about the testing;
Can I use k87 (copy) capsule instead of the Neumann K49 (original) for the initial test and voltage adjustments?

I use EF800 tube, Haufe BV08 transformer, Dany's kit, and AMI built power supply.

Thanks!

Stupid question, but I can't figure out how to disassemble the M23 9-pin female binder connector on the cable side. Binder's assembly instructions aren't helping. I can unscrew the gasket. And I see there is a groove for a wrench on the adapter. But the coupling nut spins freely. Can anyone who has figured this out chime in?

(I figured out how to disassemble the binder mic side male connector from the photos Dany provided).

Thanks,
Roger

roger.unc said:
Stupid question, but I can't figure out how to disassemble the M23 9-pin female binder connector on the cable side. Binder's assembly instructions aren't helping. I can unscrew the gasket. And I see there is a groove for a wrench on the adapter. But the coupling nut spins freely. Can anyone who has figured this out chime in?

(I figured out how to disassemble the binder mic side male connector from the photos Dany provided).

Thanks,
Roger

Definitely not a stupid question. I struggled with this. If I remember correctly, I connected it to the assembled mic side connector, then used a flat wrench on the grooves.

Delta Sigma said:
Definitely not a stupid question. I struggled with this. If I remember correctly, I connected it to the assembled mic side connector, then used a flat wrench on the grooves.

Bingo! That worked. Thank you so much!  --Rog

Just wanted to share this link. Cheap GE 408A's https://www.piexx.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=10&products_id=38&zenid=ogt3bjo60v1jn8hnmqd64mrk37

The ones I received are def. labeled GE. And I haven't had the noise problems with them as with the JAN 408A's. Just thought I'd share. . . .

Back