WSW Siemens Austria Documents

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tonetweaker

Hello!

I'm in need for comprehensive documents about WSW / Siemens Austria preamps in good resolution.
Especially docs about the 811403 would be important, as these are to be racked as soon as possible.
Also info's about the PS1A PSU would be great!

Any help much appreciated!
Thank you!

Best Regards,
Marvin

The Czech website about WSW stuff doesn´t have information  about the universal amplifier (UA) 811403.

So here are the original documents for the "UA" preamp module - first hand, straight from Austria!

Siemens/WSW UA 811403 schematic:
UA811403schematicSchaltung_web-vi.jpg

Siemens/WSW UA 811403 main PCB component layout  plan:
altbild_PCB1componentlayoutweb-vi.jpg

Siemens/WSW UA 811403 small PCB component layout plan:
altbild_PCB2componentlayoutweb-vi.jpg

Siemens/WSW UA 811403 switch & transformer termination:
tbild_SwitchesTransformers_web-vi.jpg

Siemens/WSW UA 811403 brochure-spec sheet:
SiemensWSWUA811403_1-vi.jpg

SiemensWSWUA811403_2-vi.jpg

SiemensWSWUA811403_3-vi.jpg

I think I have the documents about the PS1A PSU too. Have to search them.

I noticed that there´s quite little info about this module on the web although it´s probably the most sought after transistor preamp from WSW/Siemens Austria.
The UA module was produced in a fairly large quantity in the 1960ies and 1970ies for broadcast companies - foremost Austria´s own ORF, but also other countries e.g. Yugoslavia. In the 1990ies large quantities of it were dumped. The guy in the ORF surplus storage reported about hundreds having been thrown in the trash just there.
The UA preamps were never used in a console´s channel strip like Neve 1073 and didn´t attract any attention by the time they were sourced out. With the simple ELA M-grey frontplate they look very unspectacular. Surviving specimen of the  811403 preamp are very rare.  It´s an excellent sounding module - easily one of the very best transistor preamp modules ever made. The large and heavy transformers are of outstanding quality. The module offers three different input impedances that result in different sound coloration and gain range.
The rack type for this module system is called "Wiener Wanne" and is a proprietary heavy duty non-19" format, not suitable for modules by any other makers or german Siemens modules.

DIYing this preamp might be virtually impossible as the transformers were manufactured in house by Siemens Austria and are not available. Probably they are to a large degree responsible for the sonic character of the module. Resistors are VTM metal film 1% tolerance. The transistors might be quite difficult to source today.

Here are some pics:
SiemensWSWUA811403preamp-vi.jpg

SiemensWSWUA811403preampopen01-vi.jpg

iemensWSWUA811403preampopen02b-vi.jpg

SiemensWSWUA811403preampopen03-vi.jpg

WSWUA811403preampPCBsolderside-vi.jpg

Input transformer
iemensWSWUA811403IPtransformer-vi.jpg

mensWSWUA811403IPtransformer02-vi.jpg

Output transformer:
iemensWSWUA811403OPtransformer-vi.jpg

This is one of mine. Seems to be a later example. It also has been recapped professionally - maybe by ORF-service or Siemens directly because it has an unusual quality control sticker from the Siemens-Prüffeld on the outside.
SiemensWSWUA811403inside-vi.jpg

SiemensWSWUA811403PCBbackside-vi.jpg

Here are the documents for the 24V / 1A power supply unit PS1A - Kennnummer 558006

SiemensWSWPS1A558006_1-vi.jpg

SiemensWSWPS1A558006_2-vi.jpg

WSW Siemens PS1A 558006 schematic:
SiemensWSWPS1A558006_schematic-vi.jpg

WSW Siemens PS1A 558006 pictures:
WSWSiemensPS1A558006-vi.jpg

Inside
WSWSiemensPS1A558006inside1-vi.jpg

WSWSiemensPS1A558006inside2-vi.jpg

WSWSiemensPS1A558006inside3-vi.jpg

WSWSiemensPS1A558006inside4-vi.jpg

Thanks for the documents!

Do you by chance have any information on the WSW LIA-8 modules? They are a beefy version of the isolation amplifier LIA.

Regards,

Johan

nashkato said:
and they still do ...  :'(
Not sure if there are any of these left in ORF.  If so go for it!
They used to keep some seperated in a different etage of that building.  I first tried out one,  the sound was immediately convincing. Then took all that were left.

gurkan75 said:
Thanks for the documents!

Do you by chance have any information on the WSW LIA-8 modules? They are a beefy version of the isolation amplifier LIA.

Regards,

Johan

Got it! Here it is:

Brochure and specs of Siemens / WSW LIA 8  811475
SiemensWSWLIA8811475_1-vi.jpg

SiemensWSWLIA8811475_2-vi.jpg

SiemensWSWLIA8811475_3-vi.jpg

Siemens / WSW "LIA 8"  811475 schematic
SiemensWSWLIA8811475schematic-vi.jpg

SiemensWSWLIA8811475PCB-vi.jpg

SiemensWSWLIA8811475-vi.jpg

You´re welcome!

There was some serious know-how going on. Sadly it´s all history today.
For those who don´t know the module here are some pictures. Again lots of iron inside.

WSWSiemensLIA8811475-vi.jpg

WSWSiemensLIA8811475_-vi.jpg

WSWSiemensLIA8811475_inside1-vi.jpg

Different input transformer than in UA 811403
WSWSiemensLIA8811475_inside2-vi.jpg

WSWSiemensLIA8811475_inside3-vi.jpg

WSWSiemensLIA8811475_inside4-vi.jpg

Just want to say I have a pair of 811403 and they are SICK. I love them. I didn't rack them myself (Oliver Archut at TAB Funkenwerk did). They are super hot so I would recommend putting in a variable attenuators before and after the pre. You can get lots of great saturation. Mine doesn't have them and I wish it did.

I just got 2 WSW 811510 channel strips that I am going to rack. Hopefully they have a similar sound with EQ as well. Enjoy.

Good day to you all!

Firstly I'm sorry for my late reply! I forgot to turn on the notification about new replies and also didn't expect such immediate and extensive answers, especially after months of searching and asking all over the internet with no success whatsoever.

Herr Sauschlager - Thank you very much for sharing all the detailed schematics, specs and further informations so generously, that's a great surprise!

Unfortunately I'm a layman in electronics, so I wanted to try a local audio tech and supply all the information needed to get the racking done properly. Considering your concern about racking/servicing these preamps diy as "virtually impossible", maybe it is advisable to trust them to more experienced hands, such as David Küblböck / Ostrong Audio, as he once worked for austrian broadcasting and knows WSW gear very good, I think.

I once bought a case, that was used by the ORF, with the PS1A and two 811453c. Months later I got a larger collection of some german preamps and recognised the two 811403 immediately amongst them on the photos, which weren't listed in the auction. It was quite a bargain, I was lucky. They're rare indeed.
It's a great shame the ORF doesn't sell this old equipment and all went into trash. A while ago, I heard of the ORF, just selling stuff from the early digital era.
But it's the same with german broadcasting companies.

@dukeofearl
The 811510 certainly is great, too. I was told the 811350B is the best sounding preamp, WSW ever built. Some also like the 811301.

Lastly, I'm sorry, if I might have posted this in the wrong forum. I found a similiar very old thread about this topic (WSW/documents/etc.), so I posted it here.

For all who are not comfortable in repairing these units by their own I can definately recommend David Küblböck / Ostrong Audio.
Over the years David has built up tons of experience in service/repair of Austrian Siemens/WSW gear and I would say these days he is the man for the job. He is a very nice and honest person and I greatly respect him.

My comment about DIY of the 811403 was about building "clones" like lots of people are doing with famous gear like the Neve 1073, ect.

The ORF doesn´t dump gear right away. It´s available for a while and only if it doesn´t sell within reasonable time it´s thrown into this big box where you´re not allowed to take out anything. This is then sold to a scrap metal dealer and gets recycled. Think of all the copper and iron in the transformers.
These days any interesting gear gets collected by ORF employees before it even reaches the end storage. No need to worry.

Thank you for sharing such valueable  information! Do you have documents about other WSW modules, such DIA, LIM (601433), ICA (815555)? Thanks.

MS Vienna said:
For all who are not comfortable in repairing these units by their own I can definately recommend David Küblböck / Ostrong Audio.
Over the years David has built up tons of experience in service/repair of Austrian Siemens/WSW gear and I would say these days he is the man for the job. He is a very nice and honest person and I greatly respect him.

My comment about DIY of the 811403 was about building "clones" like lots of people are doing with famous gear like the Neve 1073, ect.

The ORF doesn´t dump gear right away. It´s available for a while and only if it doesn´t sell within reasonable time it´s thrown into this big box where you´re not allowed to take out anything. This is then sold to a scrap metal dealer and gets recycled. Think of all the copper and iron in the transformers.
These days any interesting gear gets collected by ORF employees before it even reaches the end storage. No need to worry.

Do someone have info abut the 811403 input/output transformers ??....wire size, primary secondary turns, what kind of Iron they used(AlNiCo, FeSi)??......

Opacheco.

I recently was informed that the links to the images and schematic scans I had embedded don´t work anymore (I tried Fotki after Photobucket went insane). I can´t fix that quickly, I am sorry.

If someone needs the info please drop me a PM.

Greetings fellow DIYers!

I recently came across various WSW modules and I am looking for Info/Schematics. Most modules are not from the Studio series. I tried my luck with David from Ostrong audio, but he says he only has schematics for the Studio series. Thanks in advance for looking at this (rather long I'm afraid) post:

This was probably some kind of PA system,
The module numbers are the following:
813 582 F
813 582 T : These both seem to be Preamps with tone controls, the T is just a variable source (perhaps with varying impedances? Pad?) version.
667 704/3 : No idea what this module is - 667 modules are usually from the "utility" category from what I've come to learn from the module codes.
815 536: This seems to be a low powered (2 Watts?) power amp
815 535B: This is a transistor power amp, 50W. Schematics for this would be interesting because the "preamp" modules don't have output transformers in them - I suspect I could use the input transformer from these modules instead.
558 030
558 031
558 032: Power supplies. Possibly -24V since the transistors in the Pres are Germanium PNP type! Would be interesting to know what the difference is between the 3 other than power handling.

Last but not least, I could also use a 811 301 schematic + power supply if you happen to have that.... pics attached are mystery modules from the outside and a 813 582 from the inside.

Input transformer on the 813 582 is a R.Ela.Bv. 207a/6. Ausg. I. , Input Transformer on the 815 535B is a R.Ela.Bv. 027b/1. Ausg. VI

I'm thankful for every bit of information.

All the best,
David

Attachments

• 813582_.jpg
    813582_.jpg
    244.6 KB · Views: 37
  • Palette_mit_Lautsprecher_und_Verstarker_close.JPG
    Palette_mit_Lautsprecher_und_Verstarker_close.JPG
    204.5 KB · Views: 39
  • Palette_mit_Lautsprecher_und_Verstarker_powersupp.JPG
    Palette_mit_Lautsprecher_und_Verstarker_powersupp.JPG
    217.3 KB · Views: 39
I still haven't gotten any further with my mystery WSW modules (well, I go them fired up but they don't sound very good...). In the meantime here's a WSW 811301 manual that I found on the web, maybe I can spare some others the hassle of searching for it.

Attachments

• WSW 811301 Manual.pdf
    6 MB · Views: 126
I recently was informed that the links to the images and schematic scans I had embedded don´t work anymore (I tried Fotki after Photobucket went insane). I can´t fix that quickly, I am sorry.

If someone needs the info please drop me a PM.
Hi! I'm Bruno, from Italy.
I own some WSW units, UA and DIA. I desperately search manuals and schematics, for recap and service purposes.
Can you help me? I'll send my personal e-mail, if needed.
Thanks in advance and greetings from Italy!

Latest posts

Back