Tool Holder

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gold

Over the years I've tried many different ways and places to hold wiring hand tools on the workbench. I've never been satisfied with any of my solutions. Although they all were fine for storing tools, when in the middle of working on something the tools would always end up laying on the bench. They always were either in the way or buried behind something. The clutter has always bothered me. The other day I hit on a simple design that works great for me. Now it's just as easy to throw the tool on the bar as it is to put it on the table. So far I love it.  It was easy to make and would be even easier out of wood.

ToolHolder-1.jpg

Another good way to mount the tools you need to keep close at hand is to put a plywood board on the wall at the back of the bench , before you mount it lay all the tools out in an orderly fashion on the board , outline each tool with a pencil ,then hammer in a few nails in such a way that each tool hangs on the board ,its really neat and at the end of the day everything goes back up where it belongs leaving a nice clear bench for the next day. 

My bench is 3ft deep. I have a 1ft wide shelf along the rear and a 2’ x  2’ shelf in the right corner. Both about a foot above the bench. I’ve had and have lots of stuff mounted on, above and under those shelves. It’s no good for keeping the bench neat and tidy while working.

When working the tool holder has to be as easy to use  as setting the tool down on the bench. It can’t be more than a couple of inches further. You also need to be able to put the tool down without looking or trying too hard. The back of the bench doesn’t work for that. Maybe if you have an 18” wide bench but not a work table.

I added provision for the screwdriver sizes I use most. Next revision will be to accommodate the hex drivers and nut drivers I use most often. I couldn't have drilled straight through the 3" bar stock without having spent the time setting up the drill press. I also added a bar across the rear so when I toss a tool on the bar it can swing and catch on the rear bar and doesn't fall off. I'm no tool maker but I'm trying. I love how tidy the bench is while I'm working. Its a huge improvement.

ToolHolder-2.jpg

Latest posts

Back