krabbencutter

Re: DIY compatible Waves Soundgrid Server
« Reply #40 on: February 23, 2020, 05:58:57 PM »
That's insane, I commend you for doing that, I'm sure you're real proud... I would if I was able to, I made it real far, but had to admit that it was easyer to just take it where Waves so fulishly planted it...

I'm using a stock firmware, usb created from the V9.7 image inside the SG software and Whoops's image too, upgrade to V11 worked perfectly...
Thanks. It was just a short lived success though, because it's still not working with my motherboard. And most of the actual Soundgrid-Stuff is happening in the initrd anyway. But knowing how to recompile the kernel, should make it easier for other people to add additional drivers & stuff.

krabbencutter

« Reply #41 on: February 24, 2020, 04:48:05 AM »
So about that kernel ...

Waves soundgrid servers run on kernel 4.1.33-rt37. So that's Kernel 4.1.33 with the corresponding realtime-patch.
https://cdn.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/v4.x/ (there's a lot of kernel on that page, so use the search function of your browser and download the .gz compressed file)
https://cdn.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/projects/rt/4.1/older/ (same as before)

Once download unpack the kernel, copy the realtime patch into the extracted linux-4.1.33 folder and apply it
Code: [Select]
cd Downloads
tar -xvf linux-4.1.33.tar.gz
cp patch-4.1.33-rt37.tar.gz linux-4.1.33
cd linux-4.1.33
zcat patch-4.1.33-rt37.patch.gz | patch -p1

Copy the kernel modules from the 2016 soundgrid release (sglinux-9.7.99.105) into your source tree.
Just do it manually and replace the files with the ones from Waves.
The files from sglinux-9.7.99.105/kernel_module/wigb/ go to linux-4.1.33/drivers/net/ethernet/intel/igb/
Netx rename the wr8169.c found in sglinux-9.7.99.105/kernel_module/wr8169/to r8169.c and copy it to linux-4.1.33/drivers/net/ethernet/realtek/

sidenote: as of now I still don't have any idea what to do with the /wevent files ::)

We're also going to need firmware files for the Realtek NICs and while we're at it we can install some additional dependencies needed for the kernel compilation
sudo apt-get install linux-firmware-nonfree libncurses5-dev libncursesw5-devCopy the folder /lib/firmware/rtl_nic (going from the root level of your file system) into linux-4.1.33/firmware/

Last but not least, we need a .config file. I've extracted mine from a running WSG server:
- insert a fat32 formatted usb stick to your server and enter the console
- create a directory to mount your usb stick
mkdir /mnt/usb- mount your usb stick
mount -t vfat /dev/sdb1 /mnt/usb- copy the config
cp /proc/config.gz /mnt/usb- unmount your usb drive
umount /mnt/usb
Back in ubuntu-land extract the config.gz file to your hard drive, copy the config file into /linux-4.1.33 and rename it .config
(if it suddenly vanishes press ctrl+h to show hidden files)

Now we're ready to compile the kernel  8) Fortunately for us the Waves Kernel is pretty slim and it should compile in just a couple of minutes.
cd linux-4.1.33
make -j $(nproc)
-j $(nproc) tells your pc to use all available cores for the compilation.

Once that's done you'll find the kernel image named bzimage in the linux-4.1.33/arch/x86/boot folder.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2020, 06:06:48 AM by krabbencutter »

krabbencutter

« Reply #42 on: February 24, 2020, 06:17:10 AM »
Now we need to create a bootable usb stick. Remember syslinux, which we compiled in part 1? https://groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=71385.msg941681#msg941681

Carefully follow steps 2-4
https://wiki.syslinux.org/wiki/index.php?title=HowTos#How_to_Create_a_Bootable_USB:_For_Linux

Now create a folder named boot at the top level of your thumb drive and in there a folder called syslinux.
Move the ldlinux.sys into boot/syslinux. Copy your kernel (bzimage) into boot and rename it to vmlinuz
Next copy the initrd & syslinux.cfg found on your WSG-Stick over to your custom stick. initrd goes into boot and syslinux.cfg goes into boot/syslinux.

Your custom soundgrid thumbdrive is now ready for action.

Rasta3

« Reply #43 on: March 18, 2020, 04:52:24 PM »
Hi everyone, just my personal experience.
I gave a try to the image Whoops sent me (thanks Whoops).
I wrote the image on a bootable usb drive and tried to boot a few different pcs from the stick.
The first notebook booted up but I didn’t manage to connect to the server from soundgrid studio.
The second one, a desktop, didn’t boot even if it was an i7 with gigabit intel network card. I don’t know if it has anything to do with the efi/bios options. I’ll give another try.
Lastly the third pc, my girlfriend’s notebook, which did boot from the stick, but no way to connect to the server from the soundgrid studio.
The surprise I had with this third pc was when rebooted, the SSD was completely messed up. Lost every partition and all the data we had on it. Apparently th USB drive wrote an /ext4 partition on the SSD, with no reason and without asking anything. Yesterday I tried to recover the SSD partitions all day long, with no luck. Don’t know exactly what happened but be carefull with this image. I’m not saying it is infected but probably does some kind of formatting at every startup. Just saying do not try it with a working pc, you could have some disappointing surprise.
I’ll pass my day installing win10 tomorrow, then when I’ll find a donour pc for the test with the image will try again.
Are you sure the image is only 16/20Mb?
Is there anything special to do, to have the system up and running?
Thanks

krabbencutter

« Reply #44 on: March 19, 2020, 05:56:09 AM »
Oh god, sorry to hear that. But yeah, DO NOT use this image on any hardware before you have physically disconnected all internal storage.
Just to get this out of the way: I'll try to explain why this happened but it is absolutely not my intention to sound like I'm blaming you in any way. It's just a big pile of sh*t happens on your end and I can completely relate.

The soundgrid image is constructed for a single purpose in a specific hardware environment. That's also why it is so small.
But that means also any safety measures you're accustomed to from end-user operating systems are non-existent.
With a real soundgrid server the usb drive is even mounted inside the case and not readily accessible for the end-user.
When you boot the image up for the first time it creates a second partition and decompresses all its contents. In a soundgrid server the USB drive is the only available storage so everything is written back to the usb drive.
But when you have more than one drive connected it is absolutely possible that the OS is actually written to the other drive instead. But to be technically clear: this is not a flaw of the soundgrid OS. Waves have manufactured it to be put in a pre-configured system and shipped to the customer. That we as a community start tinkering with it on our own hardware is completely out of any scope Waves have set for this.

As to the hardware side of things, I've given up for now. There's more to it, than just having the correct Intel chipset and a supported NIC, but I haven't figured out what exactly. So when you boot it up and get an endless loop of
EXT4-fs (sda2): mounted filesystem with ordered data mode. Opts:
pull the plug and throw it out of the window ;D

Whoops

« Reply #45 on: March 19, 2020, 09:04:36 PM »
Lastly the third pc, my girlfriend’s notebook, which did boot from the stick, but no way to connect to the server from the soundgrid studio.
The surprise I had with this third pc was when rebooted, the SSD was completely messed up.\

Why would you use the image on a working PC it's beyond my reasoning.
The image is for a server, a dedicated unit. You need a dedicated machine for that.

Rasta3

« Reply #46 on: March 19, 2020, 10:51:49 PM »
Oh god, sorry to hear that. But yeah, DO NOT use this image on any hardware before you have physically disconnected all internal storage.
Just to get this out of the way: I'll try to explain why this happened but it is absolutely not my intention to sound like I'm blaming you in any way. It's just a big pile of sh*t happens on your end and I can completely relate.

The soundgrid image is constructed for a single purpose in a specific hardware environment. That's also why it is so small.
But that means also any safety measures you're accustomed to from end-user operating systems are non-existent.
With a real soundgrid server the usb drive is even mounted inside the case and not readily accessible for the end-user.
When you boot the image up for the first time it creates a second partition and decompresses all its contents. In a soundgrid server the USB drive is the only available storage so everything is written back to the usb drive.
But when you have more than one drive connected it is absolutely possible that the OS is actually written to the other drive instead. But to be technically clear: this is not a flaw of the soundgrid OS. Waves have manufactured it to be put in a pre-configured system and shipped to the customer. That we as a community start tinkering with it on our own hardware is completely out of any scope Waves have set for this.

As to the hardware side of things, I've given up for now. There's more to it, than just having the correct Intel chipset and a supported NIC, but I haven't figured out what exactly. So when you boot it up and get an endless loop of
EXT4-fs (sda2): mounted filesystem with ordered data mode. Opts:
pull the plug and throw it out of the window ;D

Thanks krabbencutter for the response. I know for what the waves server is intended for so I can perfect imagine it wasn’t designed to be used on a regular machine.
And to answer Whoops I know I need a dedicated machine, I was just trying to sort out why it wouldn’t boot from my desktop pc, the only one which had the specs to give the server a try.
About that, still trying to boot from there with no luck, simply doesn’t boot from that image. I tried different usb sticks, same result. Different usb ports (usb 2 and usb 3), same result. Different images on same usb sticks boot with no problem. I tried a lot of suggested bios settings too with same results.
I hope noone got offended from my post. I’m just trying to alert others about possible risks.
After all, from what I read till now I was certain it was a live usb. Booting from the usb supposedly didn’t touch the internal storage...well now I know that it could have some surprise. ;)
By the way, my girlfriend already has her pc up and running. She should thank me for the fresh install...or maybe not!?!? ;)

maniman

Re: DIY compatible Waves Soundgrid Server New
« Reply #47 on: March 27, 2020, 07:13:23 AM »
Hello guys, long time without posting, thanks to all of you for the experiences specially to Whoops and krabbencutter for the extensive info research and genorosity.

For me boots in every Intel chipset I tested, unfortunately the only machine with Intel NIC I own isnt a gigabit one ,is recognized and the link becomes ready and all that but not appears in the inventory.

As we seen in the "Server one inside" youtube video  ...Maybe an "Intel Gigabit CT Desktop NIC" (as the EXPI9301CT mini PCIe)  does the trick ? someone tested  ?

I must assume the server don't care a s*** about the licenses ? the license are managed and would be in the host side all the time ? this is in that way ?

Many thanks, best wishes and health to everybody.
Mani.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2020, 08:53:23 AM by maniman »
Neumann W492 (AudioX)
Studer 169K5 (AudioX)
API 312 (Analog Obsession)
Neve 1073 (Limerence)
API DR 2402 Summing Mixer (DIY Racked)