[Infinitas]: USB Audio Class 2 Interface, 32 in, 32 out, DSP

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So... it's been weeks since digikey's AKM4458 are out of stock.. and they should be in stock in another 20 weeks...
I'd hate to wait this long to finish this project. Anyone has any clue how to get them elsewhere ?

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/New-original-AK4458VN-AK4458-QFN48/32968960438.html

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Free-shipping-10PCS-LOT-AK4458-AK5552-QFN48-AK5552VN-AK4458VN/32901851599.html

Indeed it is really a disaster with the DAC. Did not expect that.  :(
We can only wait for digikey having it back in stock. AKM does not claim it EOL. I would be happy if somebody can find another source for the chip in small quantities.

I’m also curious about how it behaves in the real world - seems a great solution to scaling up AD/DA without all the bells and whistles you have to buy into with standard commercial offerings, so if anyone has one up and running in the wild I’d love to hear how you’ve found it.

pioneersfx said:
Did anyone finish his/her build yet?

I'm super curious how well the Infinitas works under pressure :)

out of curiosity, what's the purpose of the FPGA? without it, the XMOS can't handle 32in and 32out?

Just to check in on this thread, the AK4458VN is back in stock at Digikey now with over 6,000 in stock (now that's a LOT of channels...). https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/akm-semiconductor-inc/AK4458VN/974-1082-1-ND/5287011

Still very interested to read experiences of anyone who's got their Infinitas up and running, in particular any subjective reports on sound quality and performance against other interfaces. Also keen to know how the ADAT expansions are coming along, RKN - I see you're out of stock on the 8 channel AD/DA boards on your store.

This seems like a really great project (and one that could be integrated easily with a mixer build, for example...).

Amazing project!!

I'm really interested in trying to get it up and running. Do you know, when those AnalogIO boards will be back in stock?

Best regards,
Mathias

Hi,
does anyone have an Idea how to incorporate one headphone out?
Should I just take two outputs and put a poti on it? Or shall I build in a headphone preamp?
I'm almost done soldering the board, super excited.
Ramon

kolabaer said:
Hi,
does anyone have an Idea how to incorporate one headphone out?
Should I just take two outputs and put a poti on it? Or shall I build in a headphone preamp?
I'm almost done soldering the board, super excited.
Ramon

You are probably going to need to build a headphone amp. That said there are some pretty great headphone amp pcb's that use nice op amps on Ebay.

I too am waiting eagerly for one of you guys to finish. I check this thread once a day.

FYI the regulator NCP4681DSQ25T1G reached EOL and it is seriously hard (for me impossible) to find a substitute with the same pinout. It's the 2.5V regulator for the RGMII pins which are not used anyway - is it possible to just leave it out?

I finished soldering the mainboard except for the big IDC connectors which will be soldered when the board is running. This isn't an easy project to solder, I feel like I aged 2-3 years doing it  ;D One tip for fellow DIYers, though I'm not sure if this isn't something everyone does anyway, but cleaning the solder pads before placing and soldering components is making it much easier + use a lot of flux. Because of the board having a HASL finish, the surface is a tiny bit uneven and rough, so cleaning it saved me a lot of nerves and some time.

Still waiting for a FT2232 module...what I can tell you is that FT232 chips won't work (or I messed up assembling the PCB ;) )

Attachments

• infinipcb.png
    infinipcb.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 54
Hi,

congratz to your soldered board. Well, I am doing this very often for prototyping. After your second board you will prefer SMDs over THTs.
The FT232 chips do not work because they don't have a hardware JTAG unit. Therefore, you need a FT2232 or similar. I have here a FT4232 which works perfectly.

Raphael

Hi Raphael,

I was able to program the FPGA with a FT2232 module. But I'm having problems programming the xmos - I'm getting the following error message:

Last line I get is:
XFlash_Utils::BuildRunCommand : xrun --io --adapter-id GsZEwYzh spiinfo-10d251f5
And then this error message:
xrun: First stage multi-node boot failed, please check XN file and Xmos link connectivity

It looks like the xtag programmer see's the infinitas board and it tries to flash the memory but after some time of trying I get that error message. Not sure where to go on from here, do you have any ideas where to look? I reflowed the chips and some other parts of the circuit but no change there...

This is quite a complicated project for me, soldering is very hard imho and setting up for programming took me days

Best regards,
Mathias

Back