• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Group DIY and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

1073-1066-1084 cases new batch

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have plans to make a DIY rack as well for my 1081 chassis (that will come up shortly).
My plan was to do them as Neve did in the 70´s with open top and bottoms.
Its more or less just three sides, some ISEP rails and a frontpanel with controls.
The hard part is to choose what kind of connector to use and how to secure it, since the original Amphenol is obsolete.

But once that is solved and i have the 1081 rack drawn up it would be very easy to adjust measurments for the 1073/84 instead.

Well , I will finish 2 channel prototype in next few weeks.It contain 2 jfet D.I. and stepped attenuation between stages.
Biggest problem is connection between housing and modules.There are two solutions- first is as AMS Neve do, to integrate horizontal PCB with edge traces directly to PCB that holding back IO XLR-s , and second is maybe mechanically better .....one more edge connector on back PCB which will accept the interconnection pcb with traces .And most important thing is PSU.It rely can affect sound , and should be made in old fashion way, transistor/diode etc...

Attachments

• 27394043_1805616246404246_1275893313_o.jpg
    27394043_1805616246404246_1275893313_o.jpg
    143.3 KB · Views: 94
API said:
I have plans to make a DIY rack as well for my 1081 chassis (that will come up shortly).
Its more or less just three sides, some ISEP rails and a frontpanel with controls.

Awesome! :)

wmarden said:
Hey  sasarist-

The face plates will be Neve logo'd, right? And not Bee Bird style...?

Actually I dont want to put any logo on it, so if you want , you can add decal latter.1073 name and logo are AMS Neve trademarks , and as some probably know, in 2017 AMS take legal actions against Heritage Audio just for exploiting 1073 name.
cheers

API said:
The hard part is to choose what kind of connector to use and how to secure it, since the original Amphenol is obsolete.

But once that is solved and i have the 1081 rack drawn up it would be very easy to adjust measurments for the 1073/84 instead.

A 3u 2254 version would be a great idea too, of course. 😉

ArnoldLayne said:
I'm in for one 1073 and one 1084, with the boards  :p

Deal....
btw , I am going to CNC house in saturday , so thats gonna be start of manufacturing frames.I will try to add few more details like output transformer holder , holes for 1084 capacitor holders...etc.

Sounds awsome, Sarsarist. Does anyone have a prefered power supply design?

Timjag said:
Sounds awsome, Sarsarist. Does anyone have a prefered power supply design?
My experience is that N modules sound best with regulators from that era, mostly transistor-diode combo.
Also important difference can make PSU filtering , original 33604 have one large 10-15000 cap and psu is rated like something around 5A.Those big caps can sometimes realy kill or smooth transients , and maybe it  sound more "vintage" I personally prefer  group of smaller values in parallel. In the end of the day , LM317 will do a job , but considering effort  to build those beasts , PSU should not be under radar.

cheers

Agreed, It's very true that PS contributes hugely to to the overall sound of a unit, it's very easy to think of the unit somehow being separate from its power supply, maybe because of the advent of wall wart universal PS. But of course  the whole thing is one circuit from being to end.

any more info on the 1084/1081 frames? Any assumened time frame when these will be ready for purchase?

59flame said:
any more info on the 1084/1081 frames? Any assumened time frame when these will be ready for purchase?
I ordered them in saturday, so hope that in a 4 weeks from now , they will come out from cnc workshop .After that nickel plating and they will be ready for shipping.

Any interest in 8 module frame housing?
Also , as a first aid I made prototype of small back edge connector with IO xlrs and 24v48v output pot connections.It works nice.

sasarist said:
Also , as a first aid I made prototype of small back edge connector with IO xlrs and 24v48v output pot connections.It works nice.

ff4rxy.jpg

sasarist said:

The module frame is of specific interest to me!

Ah! I like your prototype!

Sasarist

Number one, yes a 8 module rack for the units would be awsome, I'm also thinking to up my order to 8 1073 + boards with vertical text,  if that helps you get near your optimum order amount

I figure I might as well go all out! It can be this years project!

Back