Mic output transformers

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tonzauber

I need a special mic output transformer made, to fit as replacement into vintage Microphones (AKG C414 P48), as the originals are not available anymore (they were made in-house)

I have all the specs and construction details, I also have a few broken ones for investigation. However all manufacturers I contacted so far (Haufe, Pikatron, Sowter) declined to build one as they don't have cores or formers of the size necessary.

I would need about 15-20 pieces for the beginning.

Any ideas whom to ask?

Best

Georg

Thanks for all the contacts and ideas, i'll keep you updated on the progress.

(and no we don't have 15 broken mics yet...)

I guess I fell for the sleight-of-hand in the OP then ...  ::)

tonzauber said:
I need a special mic output transformer made, to fit as replacement into vintage Microphones (AKG C414 P48), as the originals are not available anymore (they were made in-house)

Well, if we had a chinese clone, the dimensions would not be so critical, would they?

Btw, the C414-EBP48  was originally never delivered with the brass CK12, but already shipped out exclusively with the "nylon" Ck12.

And if I were to build mics around CK12, i would rather go with a design that uses the readily available T14/1.

This is just a sourcing project to keep this type of microphones alive.  Unfortunately, the original xformers are a littlebit on the fragile side, mechanically, and therefore tend to fail when the mics are dropped or abused in another way.

tonzauber said:
And if I were to build mics around CK12, i would rather go with a design that uses the readily available T14/1.
T14 sized is OK idea, but ratio is not adequate.

Georg, I sent you few mails and in the meantime there is one more possibility for this project. Are you still interested in ? If not, just let me know so I can cancel all of  possible deals regarding laminations.
If yes, please respond so we can continue.

hitchhiker said:
analogguru, I can't imagine putting a 1:1 ratio transformer in my elam251 build?
As far as I understand is this thread about
tonzauber said:

I have all the specs and construction details, I also have a few broken ones for investigation.
Possible thread derailments are not my fault and were/are ignored by me.  And when I wrote:
[quote author=analogguru] The original transformer has a ~ 1:1 ratio (with a bigger core than the T14/1)
[/quote]
then I was talking about the AKG C414 (which is not a tube microphone).

analogguru,  the thread title is "Mic output transformers" so I was wondering what would be the ideal output transformer (t14/1?) ratio for a 6072 build of an elam 251 and I apologize for not stating that clearly right off.

Moby, is 6:1 better for an output ratio on a 6072 build of an elam 251 ?

hitchhiker said:
analogguru,  the thread title is "Mic output transformers" so I was wondering what would be the ideal output transformer (t14/1?) ratio for a 6072 build of an elam 251 and I apologize for not stating that clearly right off.

No, sorry, I was talking about AKG C414 P48 transformer.
T-14 is 11.5:1

hitchhiker said:

Count the output impedance with 6:1 - no it isn't better ;)

All transformer based C414 (excpet B-ULS) are 2:1 output irons, only B-ULS is 1:1.

Back