Bought the remaining inventory from closed electronics store

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bjoneson

It was a virtual steal, and I just couldn't help myself. Now I have 40 giant uhaul boxes full of what was basically like an old school radio shack.

Amongst it, is a huge NTE / ECG collection with about 2500 part numbers and close to 8000 pieces.

I've got it all inventoried, now trying to figure out what to do with it.

Who's got ideas?

It depends on what you have....is it 40 boxes of resistors and capacitors? Or 40 boxes of germanium transistors?  ;D

It's freaking everything under the sun, lol.

The NTE / ECG stuff is all semiconductors. Any kind of base semiconductors you can imagine, plus a bunch of specialty ICs (in addition to loads of TTL / CMOS). There's a lot of SCRs, including some industrial stuff (Who needs a 1000V / 300A rectifier). 2500 part numbers 90% of which are some kind of semiconductor.

There's a ton of RF connectors outside the NTE stuff, BNC, N, F, all different cable sizes. It's crazy.

You could reach out to the smaller distributors like Small Bear or Cabintech.??????IDK how they do business but they handle  a lot of discontinued and reissued stuff usually.....After you give everyone a chance here of course ;D

I guess everyone could post what they may be looking for? I know I'm down for some transistors......MPS-L01, MPS8599 and some other stuff....They aren't unobtanium yet but only a few trusted places have some.....

Be interesting to see whatcha got....
Good Luck!

Right in your town:

Nebraska Surplus probably knew of the closing. If they didn't, they might look at your list and bid low bucks for a few top parts; they already have FAR more than that in stock so are probably not buying "just stuff".

Surplus Sales of Nebraska
1218 Nicholas Street
Omaha, NE

The truth is I'll probably end up keeping most of it. I've got a decent sized shop building with plenty of shelf space. If it's in any way audio related, will probably keep.

Hoping maybe I can unload some of the higher priced industrial stuff, and other parts non-audio related to at least recoup purchase.

I bought the lot at about 5% of online retail price.

Hi CJ,
Ive got a couple of hundred Cosem SFT229 Germanium transistors from some boards Im stripping out of modules .I'll bet these are hand matched carefully by German tv electronics maker Fernseh. If you think they could be of use for rangemaster/fuzz face type circuits Im happy to send you a small packet of a couple of dozen of em ,FOC.
Your selfless contributions here are second to none and your good deeds deserve reward , so if you want em just let me know and I'll have em out by post next day .

Heres the data sheet ,

https://alltransistors.com/transistor.php?transistor=45775

and data of the NTK275 for comparison

https://alltransistors.com/transistor.php?transistor=43895

Nice stuff

some parts me and I'm sure more people around here would be interested:

Germanium transistors
MAT02
LM394
BC184C
Optocoupler like Vactrols, VTL5C3 or VTL5C4/2 for example

This is really neat.

It's sad that these sorts of things that are truly cool no matter what the cool kids thought are no longer going to be available within the hour like they once were.

Makes me sad. Stupid world the last decade and it's leaders created.
Hardware fed me and kept a roof over me for the last 35 years.

bjoneson said:
The truth is I'll probably end up keeping most of it. I've got a decent sized shop building with plenty of shelf space. If it's in any way audio related, will probably keep.

Hoping maybe I can unload some of the higher priced industrial stuff, and other parts non-audio related to at least recoup purchase.

I bought the lot at about 5% of online retail price.

Keep in mind some of that stuff has a shelf life. Electrolytic caps come first to mind. If you’re going to stash most of it away in hopes of using it someday down the road, you’d do well to consider unloading some of that type of stuff before it becomes useless to anyone without the skills to re-form a cap.

Maybe make a list of priority projects, identify what you can use for those, and dump the rest of the electros. Carbon comp resistors take longer to degrade, but still suffer from limited life. Older Eeproms too.

All of this speeds up if you aren’t planning to store it in a climate controlled space, I know it gets very hot and very cold up in Omaha.  Wide temp swings will ruin some of it quickly for sure.

BT

I think it's primarily age and humidity which gets to the components, assuming that it doesn't go below -10degC and +35degC in the shed. Regular temp range of electronics components is pretty wide usually (-40degC to +70degC, more extreme for milspec components), but being submitted to high humidity for years on end is pretty damning to platings (unless gold plated).

I've had the good luck to buy a similar stash a few years ago, it's taken years to shift it, mostly FOC or for postage to fellow forum members in the UK. The problem is storing it well and recording what you have, it takes hours and even then you don't know what you've got and it can take more time to find a part. If your time is short it's quicker to order on line. I have thousands of capacitors, but never have the right value and voltage, same goes for transformers.

One other aspect occurs with having large amounts of components and tat, you'll never use it all and if something should happen to you think of the hassle that your relatives will have sorting it out. You don't want valuable components ending in a skip.

Andy.

Latest posts

Back