Octal Tube Socket Doesn't Seem to Fit Right

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gabasa

Hi,

I'm about to start putting together some guitar amps for the fun of it and I already have most of the components I need.  I ordered the following tube sockets and now that I've tried to work with them, I'm baffled:

https://www.angela.com/8pinheavydutyceramicandgoldoctalconvertibletubesocket.aspx

When I tried to attach them to the chassis, the gold saddle plate doesn't sit on the chassis surface.  Rather, it hovers above the chassis with at least 1/16" gap, maybe a bit more.  I feel that the saddle plate should sit right on the chassis so that the metal doesn't bend when I tighten the bolts.

Am I correct in thinking that there's something wrong with this?  Any help would really be appreciated.

Thanks,
Gord

Thanks for the suggestions.

Whether top or bottom mount, the saddle plate remains raised above the chassis.  I guess that if I don't like it, I'll have to order different ones, as CJ did above.

Would'nt a couple of washers between the socket plate and the chassis make up the gap nicely and easily allow you to mount either kind the reverse way round ?

> it hovers above the chassis with at least 1/16" gap

Their picture shows this:
https://www.angela.com/images/products/detail/GoldSocketTwo.jpg

The text does say " the saddle does not sit completely flat on the top surface of the chassis; there is a small gap because the portion of the ceramic body that contacts the chassis is thicker than the height of the metal saddle." --- I admit I did not get-it until your post.

I assume if you bore out the hole in the chassis, the ceramic will just fall through?

Then spacer-washers, or get a different socket. I have used Hoffman Amps' ceramic octals with no surprise (not gold, if you think that matters, if you think Angela's jewels are real Gold).

Anyone know how they (Hammond) made these octal socket holes (certain punch or tool)??? I like the look of the snap ring mounted style and was just going to get some of these sockets and maybe some 1" snap rings but, after taking apart the socket, I noticed this is what keeps it from spinning I guess??? duh....

Attachments

• 20181223_175316.jpg
    20181223_175316.jpg
    756 KB · Views: 7
gabasa said:
I feel that the saddle plate should sit right on the chassis so that the metal doesn't bend when I tighten the bolts.

I'm wondering why you feel the screws need to be so tight they bend the saddles?  To quote Angela, are you submitting the chassis to 'wild boogie action' that would require sufficient pressure to prevent failure at significant G-forces?  That would probably take a higher rated screw composition too.  I'm not seeing a mechanical problem, only a cosmetic one, and only if you consider it so.  I may be missing something.  The picture looks fine to me. 

Back