Front panel layout - Thoughts?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would use a different font:  this one looks typewriter-ish.  (serif)
Normally you would expect a silkscreen friendly font (sans serif) on a front panel of vintage equipment.

Anthon said:
I would use a different font:  this one looks typewriter-ish.  (serif)
Normally you would expect a silkscreen friendly font (sans serif) on a front panel of vintage equipment.

+1.

Helvetica is the best (and professional) looking font for me.You can try Helvetica.

BluegrassDan said:
Take a look, gents. Let me know your thoughts.

Questions? Confusion? Suggestions?
What's the idea with the "Off" position on the gain switch?

I don't like the open rack ears; I know they are a little easier to make with DIY tools than the oblong ones, but the difference is enormous, both in terms of looks and in terms of keeping your hands undamaged.

For symmetry make the DB logo the same size as the Preamp gain overlay. instead of having "Power" have ON and OFF - this will fill in more text in that area of the panel and balance it out even more.

I would be inclined to use dB for make up gain and comp thresholds.

I ASSume the freq knob in the EQ section is for the mid section. If you merge the black background for those two controls the association will be more obvious.

looks nice, but happiness is never causing users to ask questions.

JR 

I would add my thoughts to that of ForthMonkey: try to keep you fonts as plain as you can as when reaching for a control in the heat of a mix, you need to have the controls clear and unambiguous.  For me personally (I am dyslexic) serif on fonts make the letters jump all over the place. :(

Try using Calibri, for example, and see how that looks.

Cheers

Mike

Years ago an old friend of mine who knew too much about text, typefaces and graphics told me:

generally serif was intended for blocks of text, like in a book, making them flow together. In single instances or words the font would be sans serif to keep each instance apart from the next.

But he was from NYC and liked to tell a lot of baloney. Even if it is nonsense, I kind of follow that idea as much as possible.

tony hunt said:
Years ago an old friend of mine who knew too much about text, typefaces and graphics told me:

generally serif was intended for blocks of text, like in a book, making them flow together. In single instances or words the font would be sans serif to keep each instance apart from the next.

But he was from NYC and liked to tell a lot of baloney. Even if it is nonsense, I kind of follow that idea as much as possible.
He was right, serif is a relic of cursive handwriting. Having been formally trained as a draftsman, I have abandoned cursive years ago, because it's less legible. I used to favour Helvetica for front panel legends, and now Arial. These fonts have been creted with legibility as the main parameter. Microsoft have commissioned the creation of Calibri, with the added constraint of using less ink (or toner), but I think it looks skeletal.

I use a Monospaced font like this for all of my front panels.

http://www.fontsplace.com/cinecav-x-mono-premium-font-download.html

metalb00b00 said:
I use a Monospaced font like this for all of my front panels.

http://www.fontsplace.com/cinecav-x-mono-premium-font-download.html
Monospace is an acquired taste. I use it only for writing music charts, because things are on a grid, but for legending I don't think it's nice enough. Spacement seems all over the place (which it is not!).

Back