Who knows the origin of this preamp?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RuudNL

As the title says: who knows the origin of this preamp?
(The one with the flag right-top.)
I remember that I have seen this frontpanel before, but I don't remember where...

Attachments

• amp.jpg
    amp.jpg
    163 KB · Views: 108
Yeah, seen this flag before.
Looks to be build by this guy on ebay:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/usr/analogue-addicts-uk?_trksid=p2047675.l2559

Murdock said:
Yeah, seen this flag before.
Looks to be build by this guy on ebay:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/usr/analogue-addicts-uk?_trksid=p2047675.l2559

Exactly.  No judgement, but they seem to take tape recorder electronics and similar items and convert them to preamps.

I thought Chandler Limited makes those EMI clones these days.. that looks like it's to be deployed in the Normandy landing or something.

I had one in this week for repair.
Interior looks like sh*t...
It seems the builder neglected all basic rules.
There is a pot between the microphone input(!) and the grid of the first tube as a gain control.  :eek:
If you have too much signal, lower the gain instead of attenuating the input signal!  :'(
Microphone input is unbalanced, with phantom power...
I advised the owner to sell the unit, and buy something decent!

I am pleased you posted about the insides of these units. I have often seen their adverts on eBay in the UK and I have been suspicious of them for some time. They take old semi-pro tape recorders from 50 years ago and repurpose them as professional audio mic pres. Audio companies tend to have excellent hype or excellent products but not both. This company has excellent hype and your post reveals just how poor their design is.

Can you post some pics of the insides??

Cheers

Ian

As requested, some pictures.

Top view:
Topview.JPG

Power supply:
PowerSupply.JPG

Power supply smoothing, big capacitors dangling in the air...
PSU-smoothing.JPG

Inputs, XLR input directly connected to 'gain' pot, 5% phantom resistors...
Inputs.JPG

Bottom of the unit, everything is bolted to the bottomplate of the cabinet, heads of the screws probably scratching other equipment...
Bottom.JPG

ruffrecords said:
...how on earth did they get so much dust inside the unit??

That's Magic Mojo Dust. Adds Vintage Sound to today's takes. Painstakingly collected with a micro-vacuum powered by NOS 300B vacuum tubes in a crushing chamber, and sprinkled inside the re-build.

Or maybe he was sanding car dent filler in the same workshop.

Latest posts

Back