Studer 169

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ruffrecords

Is it my imagination or does the Studer 169 have two PFL toggles? How does that work?

Edit: Just downloaded a manual. What looked like PFL on the left in all the pics I could find is actually the EQ on/off toggle labeled FIL I think.

Is the mute/solo toggle as neat as I think it is? On in the middle, mute one way and momentary solo the other way?

Cheers

Ian

Its getting on for 25 years since I used a Studer 169 ,so Ive forgotten almost everything apart from the nice sound it made .As far as I remember it had provision for battery operation as well ,single 24volt rail as was customary in fully discrete stuff back in the day .I did get to strip it down one time alright ,just for the usual clean and dusting out , as with everything Studer breathtaking quality.

ruffrecords said:
Is it my imagination or does the Studer 169 have two PFL toggles? How does that work?

Edit: Just downloaded a manual. What looked like PFL on the left in all the pics I could find is actually the EQ on/off toggle labeled FIL I think.

Is the mute/solo toggle as neat as I think it is? On in the middle, mute one way and momentary solo the other way?

Cheers

Ian

Hello Ian

switches at 169 are:
FIL for eq on/off toggle two position as you figured out
SOLO/MUTE (on)/off/on, the momentary is on the solo, exactly what you think figured out too
PFL on/off toggle

there is not two PFL
there is one PFL with dedicated bus, and SOLO is AFL, destructive, sharing single logic bus with MUTE

Best
Zam

Thanks Zam for confirming that. In the blurry pics I saw I mistook FIL for a second PFL. I really like the mute/solo idea because there is no point in soloing a muted channel and it just complicates the logic to cope with an idiot user who might try it.

Do you know the dimensions of the modules? They look about 30mm wide to me but I have no idea how tall they are.

Cheers

Ian

ruffrecords said:
Thanks Zam for confirming that. In the blurry pics I saw I mistook FIL for a second PFL. I really like the mute/solo idea because there is no point in soloing a muted channel and it just complicates the logic to cope with an idiot user who might try it.

Do you know the dimensions of the modules? They look about 30mm wide to me but I have no idea how tall they are.

Cheers

Ian

yes modules are 30mm wide, I'm not at the studio this week (maybe the coming week-end) and can't measure it for you right now.
I'll say look at manual and mechanical drawing (page 142 section 7.4/10), it should be on scale (knowing the 30mm) but I just look at it and front panel is cut at upper and lower end.

I'll update asap

Best
Zam

zamproject said:
yes modules are 30mm wide, I'm not at the studio this week (maybe the coming week-end) and can't measure it for you right now.
I'll say look at manual and mechanical drawing (page 142 section 7.4/10), it should be on scale (knowing the 30mm) but I just look at it and front panel is cut at upper and lower end.

I'll update asap

Best
Zam

Thanks Zam. I also managed to find the manual - very comprehensive = typical Willi Studer. That is how I guessed the 30mm but like you I found the full length is not shown in the picture. I wonder if it is exactly 9U which is very close to 400mm?

Cheers

Ian

ruffrecords said:
I wonder if it is exactly 9U which is very close to 400mm?

I doubt about that, Studer use metric except the 169 frame (not 269) which 19" rackable.
Still 9U so close to 400mm (if it's the case) that you can consider it equal (1/20mm mismatch...)
But if it's 380 or 420  :)

As say, if none measure it for you now, I'll do it as soon as I come back home.

You can also look 961 service manual page 146  section 6/8 frame and modules dimension is the same, to have an idea, looking at it seems whole front panel is here, still you have to extrapolate by measuring a print or the PDF, not the most accurate.

Side note, if you have already your hand at 169 service manual and to link the subject to your new V3 tube design. Look at section 7.4/9(page 140-141) how the design allow modular block chaining  ;)

Best
Zam

zamproject said:
Side note, if you have already your hand at 169 service manual and to link the subject to your new V3 tube design. Look at section 7.4/9(page 140-141) how the design allow modular block chaining  ;)

Best
Zam
I will check that out.

Cheers

ian

Latest posts

Back