Schematic for department of commerce limiting amplifier

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lewilson

I picked up a type ca-1396  limiting amp ..  anyone have a schematic?  Thanks

all varieties are very similar, there are several posted around here in various places

tubes are 6sf5  6sn7 6h6 6sn7    two ob2 and a 6x5.  I got it working today.  The unit always  in comp mode ,but the meter switches between input bypassed and comp. Inside is a threashold adjustment .  The input wont take muck more than -35 db input and it puts out +20 or more .Frequency response  rolls off at 4k.  Output impedance is  600 ohms i assume?  It has  split coil centertap . Input is 25 ohms or 600?  Id like to find a quieter tube for the 6sf5 spot.

maybe ill make and adaptor to run both halfs of a 12ax7 in parallel  for the 6sf5 tube sub 

I made an adaptor  .  I ended up using a 12bh7 with both sides in parallel.  Its good but  its still a bit hissy .  I can find any low noise 6ns7s in my stash.  I think think  theres a good Russian sub for those.  Makes quite a distortion box when pushed.

I don't think this is a variation I've come across.  Your pic at GS looks like all the other 1950's models rather than the 1940's models.  Any inside or rear pics? 

Is the 6SF5 wired as a phase splitting input stage?  Or is this thing entirely single ended? 

I haven't even traced it yet..  HAHA.  l"ll  check  and see if it has an output from the cathode  too.

I'm glad the transformers are working.  I dug this out of a pile of junk at a ham fest .  I will draw up a schematic soon

Cool.  Doesn't sound like the one I drew (posted here somewhere) will be much use, but might be worth considering it. 

I have that one . I'm curious if they all have a distorted type sound to them.  When I get home I'm gonna check for leaky bypass caps.

I've worked on a half dozen different models.  They all sound like distorted telephones.  The band-limiting is very much about hiding the distortion.  The vintage piece for the person who has everything! 

Good to know.  I dont want to get crazy with it.  Its built like a tank, so one assumes it should sound better. Not a vocal comp.  Maybe electric guitar or drums.
  the oil caps are still working good.

Back