Diy shockmounts?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kooma

My mics usually have 55-60mm diameter and most chinese cheapo shockmounts have 50mm max diameter
as I make my own mic bodies, I was thinking should I have a go on shockmount;
anybody made one/have clever ideas on making one etc?

Still there are chinese schockmounts which will fit.
Also, the some of the most popular mounts with thick technical internal foam inside, will fit larger mikes if you will replace  the foam for thinner.
If you have proper tools or whole workshop, skills and cheap sourcing of material, then why not?
Otherwise it's not cost effective unless it will be your diy challenge ;)
Good schockmounts can be made much more simplified than most known designs.

http://www.wgtcenter.com/microphone-shock-mount-clip-clamp-for-mxl-990-770-90-usb-990s-u47-spider-elastic-suspension-replacement-60mm-condenser-audio-recording.html

ln76d said:
Still there are chinese schockmounts which will fit.
Also, the some of the most popular mounts with thick technical internal foam inside, will fit larger mikes if you will replace  the foam for thinner.
If you have proper tools or whole workshop, skills and cheap sourcing of material, then why not?
Otherwise it's not cost effective unless it will be your diy challenge ;)
Good schockmounts can be made much more simplified than most known designs.
Vac11 said:
http://www.wgtcenter.com/microphone-shock-mount-clip-clamp-for-mxl-990-770-90-usb-990s-u47-spider-elastic-suspension-replacement-60mm-condenser-audio-recording.html
MagnetoSound said:
I would think you could cobble something up with wire coathangers and rubber bands, if you don't care what it looks like ... 😁
thanks!
I've had few of those flimsy chinese ones and I tried modding them,
but I'll have try that 60mm one.
imo. they are indeed great value for money and no point trying to make one costwise,
but just thought if someone would have some clever ideas
or links to some highend designs worth looking as an idea(besides those basic "spider"shockmounts)

I actually have access to decent workshop every thursday evenings at local "community college" metal&woodworking-course ;D

I am a huge DIY fan and the link above is impressive.

But when it comes to LDC shock mounts just get a few Rycote InVision USM-VB (55-68mm) and be done.
For SDCs I use the INV-6 exclusively.

Back