Stark Tube Tester

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GussyLoveridge

GDIY Supporter
Hey Folks -

I have a stark tube tester that I'm putting back into service. There is a bulb, GE-18 (6 Watt, 6.5 Volt), that acts as a fuse. If I do the math it seems as though the peak current it can handle is about 0.92 Amps - I'm wondering since it's a somewhat difficult bulb to track down where I live, can I replace this with a 1 Amp barrel style fuse and holder? Is it that simple? Am I missing anything? Slow or fast blow?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Gus.

Fuse does not replace bulb. The bulb will sag without blowing. Not knowing quite what it is doing (??), I would suggest "any" 6W 6.5V lamp. Old-type 6V car tail-light comes to mind. #1154 is perhaps too big (even on the small filament).

https://www.bulbamerica.com/collections/under-10w/6v+3w-6w

All 6V bulbs are going out of style; the lingerers are higher watts. But there is a DEAD-common lamp at 6.3V 0.15A: the #47 used in all classic Guitar Amps. Put six in parallel. I found offers at ten for $8. (#44 is 0.25A and priced similar. Used in pinball machines, offered at $28 per hundred!)

The TV-7 series of testers uses a similar bulb, #81 for it's fuse lamp.  It is 6.5V / 6.63W / 1.02A.  Not sure if it is the same basing as I can't find a GE-18 pic.  The #81 is readily available though.

GussyLoveridge said:
Hey folks -

Thanks for all the help.

1. I was reading the bulb upside down. It's an 81.

2. I ordered 10 from the internet for $6 and a million dollars in shipping.

If it helps ease the pain, I would buy a couple from you as spares for my TV/7  ;)

Back