Vintage Jensen Direct Output transformer

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ReRibbon

I picked up a Jensen Direct Output transformer from a Quad Eight board. It has 8 leads. Black, orange, green, purple, red, yellow, blue, and grey.
Blue and purple are not used.
Green and greay are tied together.black and yellow are tied together.
And red and orange are tied together.

Does anyone know a way that I can figure out which is primary and secondary and ground? Im using a nice  Centech digital multimeter

Transformer is marked Stereo Buss out Right.

Thanks in advance.

all 8 wires should have something going on,

if you have what i think you have, it is a quad eight ca127/137 OPT which is wound quad-filar which means all windings have the same turns, dcr should be the same, probably around 10 ohms,

each pair is a 150 ohm Z, strap 2 in series and you get 600.

what kind of circuit are you going to use that on?

Thanks for the reply. I got in touch with Jensen directly and after some research they got back to me. It is the JE-123-H output transformer custom wound in 1977 ordered by "Collins".
So it turns out that even though I pulled it from a quad eight board, tgey were originally wound for API as a 2503 /312. Tgey can go all tge way up to 3:1. Ive got 6 all together. 6.7 ohm, 13.7 ohm in series, 3.2 ohm in parallel. Am using two as a line stage after my phono pre and they sound awesome for that.
To answer your question, Im gonna try building a 312 if I can. Have looked for schematics, but havent found one that people seem to afree on. Just ordered a Gar2520 kit and have some old Belclere Input transformers from the late 70's am gonna try out first.

Any suggestions?

Latest posts

Back