KM84 DIY Body & PCB kit – CLOSED

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I received the KM84 kits yesterday.
I tested the microphone capsules on an existing microphone and they sound well balanced.
Not the peaky HF that is usually produced by cheap SDC's.
The sound makes me indeed think of a KM84.

By the way: it would be nice if I could just get two capsules to replace the ones on my test microphone(s) permanently...

Everything arrived yesterday and I start my built.
Well maybe I’m to dumb, but I don’t get the Capsule on the mic body.
Do the mod on the plastic spring. Don’t get it, everytime when I want to push the Capsule on the XLR part has minimum 4mm space.

TillM said:
Everything arrived yesterday and I start my built.
Well maybe I’m to dumb, but I don’t get the Capsule on the mic body.
Do the mod on the plastic spring. Don’t get it, everytime when I want to push the Capsule on the XLR part has minimum 4mm space.

No, you're absolutely right – the sizing of the spring isn't accurate because it's a standard part.

Once you have the board installed, you need to shorten the brass pin of the springy part to the correct length. It's correct when the capsule fully closes whilst pushing down the spring.

Careful not to cut too much. Best to do in stages, and check if it fits.

What is the status of the tx group buy, and estimate on delivery for those units?

Thanks

Mulmany said:
What is the status of the tx group buy, and estimate on delivery for those units?

Thanks

Status is same – order went in after we closed the list, with lead-time of around 6-8 weeks.

Should have them in about a month.

Hello Banzai,

i‘ve build a tube version out of your body kit with a german made transformer.
Its the first time i have used a circuit designed by myself. The mic sounds well balanced with a sweet top end (not to much) and very fast transient response.
Nice!

What is the max Capsule Voltage i can get? Now i have ca 40V. Can i get up to 50 or 60V?

Best
Andreas

No problem for 60V – as long as you like what you're hearing, then it's fine!

Pictures??  ;)

Banzai said:
No, you're absolutely right – the sizing of the spring isn't accurate because it's a standard part.

Once you have the board installed, you need to shorten the brass pin of the springy part to the correct length. It's correct when the capsule fully closes whilst pushing down the spring.

Careful not to cut too much. Best to do in stages, and check if it fits.

Hi Banzai,
Thanks for the advice !
That’s what I also think about, but I want to be secure.
I forget to thank you for the great offer and the quality of the kits.
As always your packaging was perfect !
Thank you so much.
I will cut 2mm away from the brass and than I can bias it.

So now I’m ready.
It sounds amazing with the Cinemag transformers.
I really like the detail. Test it on my hi hat and I don’t have to eq it.
It just sound good.
With my second mic I made a mistake in the hi Z area.
It has extremely low output, I have to resolder it.
But this I will do tomorrow.
It sounds great with just biasing by ear.
Will bias the FET also this weekend.
Thanks for the kits Banzai !

You're welcome!  ;)

Just a quick note as i'm getting a lot of tracking number requests:

The guys who already received their kits didn't join the Cinemag groupbuy. The rest of the orders will only ship when the transformers arrive.

( https://groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=68360.msg872206#msg872206 )

fsalter said:
As an alternative to the Cinemag, there is the 3u GZT-47, which is quite nice. It is 6.5:1 instead of 6.9:1. Will it make much of a difference?  It certainly is quite cheaper.
This one is closer with 7:1 ratio.
https://picclick.com/3U-Audio-GZT-84-Output-Transformer-for-SDC-Microphone-112882929558.html

Yes, after Guosheng's recommendation, that's what i ended up getting. I received my kits yesterday. Will post when done.

Winetree said:
This one is closer with 7:1 ratio.
https://picclick.com/3U-Audio-GZT-84-Output-Transformer-for-SDC-Microphone-112882929558.html

Ericbazaar said:
shure: :D

the rest of the electronic components are backside

Beautiful!!

Good picture of that mega spring pin too.
If you cut it shorter, you can gain more inside space.

The Ohmite 1gig resistors are expensive, and the TE ones are backordered till June.
Do you think these are usable? I have a few lying around from canibalised chinese mics.

Latest posts

Back