KM84 DIY Body & PCB kit – CLOSED

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just finished building four (4) of these. Worked great the first time. They still need to be biased, but I was getting plenty of headroom without making any adjustments. Also, these are extremely quiet. I've haven't recorded anything thing with them just talked into each mic and snapped my fingers, but my reaction was that this circuit is indeed very smooth and pleasant in the high mids, unlike most any other name brand commercial SDC that are considered audio engineering essentials.

Couple of tips to make the build easier:

Use a small flat file instead of a razor when test fitting the white spring housing that connects the capsule to the PCB. I found it much easier and faster (and safer) to get a great fit to the PCB without the risk over trimming.

Trimming the small brass rod that makes contact with the capsule so that it is flush with the microphone body threads will be just enough material so you can fully screw the capsule on the body.

A small amount of gentle persuasion will be required to insert the XLR housing into the body when the PCB is attached. The XLR housing does not line up exactly with the body once you get to this point of assembly as the PCB is not perfectly centered to the XLR when soldered in place. At least that is they way it was for me. It didn't take much effort but one should be aware this may be the case upon completion.

Now I just need to get the bodies painted.

Thanks for the excellent project!

Paul

Attachments

• KM84 Front.jpg
    KM84 Front.jpg
    902.6 KB · Views: 220
The back.

This where I placed the 470pF capacitors between the isolated turrets. The leads where small enough to pass through their hollow centers to be soldered on top.

I cleaned the solder connections and the 1Gohm resistors after this photo was taken.

Thanks!

Paul

Attachments

• KM84 Rear.jpg
    KM84 Rear.jpg
    879.8 KB · Views: 182
Lovely work Mr. Cakes! Looks great!!

I was just about to butt in and suggest you might need a little isopropyl on there, but then you bet me to it! :)

Potato Cakes said:
I cleaned the solder connections and the 1Gohm resistors after this photo was taken.

GraemeWoller said:
Lovely work Mr. Cakes! Looks great!!

I was just about to butt in and suggest you might need a little isopropyl on there, but then you bet me to it! :)

The one thing I will do I is put a little hot glue to hold the transformer in place to the PCB. it's not completely necessary when it's all assembled, but it think a little more stability would be nice.

Hopefully later this year when I get back to recording stuff I'll get to put them to use.

Thanks!

Paul

Just curious: has anyone tried the AMI T8 transformer? It seems to be the same size and, as far as I can tell, the same ratio and other values as the Cinemag.

jrmintz said:
Just curious: has anyone tried the AMI T8 transformer? It seems to be the same size and, as far as I can tell, the same ratio and other values as the Cinemag.

Haven't tried it, but at $120 it wouldn't even be an option for me.

Rather get two Cinemag's, or the original Haufe ;)

Just got my 2 kits in the mail. Looks amazing, can’t wait til I find some free time to put em together. Thanks for the hard work!

The parts were delivered yesterday to the far east.  Thank you again for handling and the support, Bonzai. ;)

I am wondering how can I paint the body.
It would be great if you guys share how are you going to paint the surface.
Ordinary color paint with a primer underneath or powder coat?

Anyway, thanks again and hope everything works fine.

This looks great! Dont know how i missed it.  I'd be down for a pair next run.  Keep up the good work.

Back