Saffire Pro 26 Preamp problem

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rbarreiros

Hello,

I have a Saffire Pro 26, pretty much the same unit as the 40, just less inputs/outputs/clock/adat etc, with the following symptom, on the 2nd channel, when I gain up the signal, it amplifies up till a value, then it remains at that value regardless of the volume I increase, (similar to a limiter).

I already measured (signal generator + oscilloscope) and tested the whole preamp chain from the interface input, through the analog switches, input opamps, straight into the adc/dac CS4272, and up till there, everything seems to be working perfectly, with the gain working as intended, I am guessing the problem is either with the codec, or post, my gut tells me codec, has this happened to anyone else ? Does anyone know a way of further debugging without picking the soldering iron to be sure it's the CS4272 ? (the de/soldering will be a pain as it has plenty of 0402 caps/resistors very close to it)

Thanks.

rbarreiros said:
Hello,

I have a Saffire Pro 26, pretty much the same unit as the 40, just less inputs/outputs/clock/adat etc, with the following symptom, on the 2nd channel, when I gain up the signal, it amplifies up till a value, then it remains at that value regardless of the volume I increase, (similar to a limiter).

I already measured (signal generator + oscilloscope) and tested the whole preamp chain from the interface input, through the analog switches, input opamps, straight into the adc/dac CS4272, and up till there, everything seems to be working perfectly, with the gain working as intended, I am guessing the problem is either with the codec, or post, my gut tells me codec, has this happened to anyone else ? Does anyone know a way of further debugging without picking the soldering iron to be sure it's the CS4272 ? (the de/soldering will be a pain as it has plenty of 0402 caps/resistors very close to it)

Thanks.

I don't see why it's a pain. It's pretty easy to solder and desolder a bunch of these things even when they're next to a crowded 0201 chips using just a hot air station. Just use a Kapton tape to hold the rest of the components. Then hold your breath and stay calm when you pick up the IC using a tweezer. It helps reducing hand shakiness.

I wonder if the gain pot might've "given up the ghost"...

PS: The Pro 26 (the older, silver one) actually has MORE inputs/outputs than the 40, by virtue of the second bank of ADAT i/o ;)

Or do you mean the 24 (similar black to the 40)?

Khron said:
I wonder if the gain pot might've "given up the ghost"...

PS: The Pro 26 (the older, silver one) actually has MORE inputs/outputs than the 40, by virtue of the second bank of ADAT i/o ;)

Or do you mean the 24 (similar black to the 40)?

there are two Pro 26, a silver older one like you mentioned, and a black one.

https://global.focusrite.com/firewire-audio-interfaces/saffire-pro-26

Ah, my bad then :) Not sure i was aware of this one - guess it wasn't too successful on the market (unlike the 24 and the 40).

metalb00b00 said:
there are two Pro 26, a silver older one like you mentioned, and a black one.

https://global.focusrite.com/firewire-audio-interfaces/saffire-pro-26

Latest posts

Back