Old Crystal Mic Strangeness

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Colorblind

Hey all,

Not sure if this is the proper forum, but I've got a Turner crystal mic from the 40's that I've been experimenting with for use as a "trash mic" on drums.  The original TS connector was damaged, so I replaced it with a TRS connector, but wired it like a TS, leaving the "ring" disconnected.  It sounds great through the DI on my Aurora GTQ2, but through any others (Chandler, Hamptone, ART Tube MP, etc.) I can't get a usable signal, even with the gain cranked.  The signal is noisy and thin through anything besides the Aurora.  I like to use my Auroras for kick+snare or overheads,  and would rather not have to reconfigure that just to incorporate this microphone.  The Aurora has an impedance switch on the back, and the Turner sounds great on either setting.  I've also tried going through a Radial DI into the line input on several preamps (including the Aurora), and I get the same noisy, shrill signal. 

Any ideas as to why this would be? 

Thanks,

C

Connect the ring.  Not sure why you need it disconnected, and it's probably the problem. 

Thanks guys.  I connected the ring and ground together and I'm getting the same issue.  Still sounds fine when connected to the Aurora's DI.  Any other thoughts?

C

Colorblind said:
Thanks guys.  I connected the ring and ground together and I'm getting the same issue.  Still sounds fine when connected to the Aurora's DI.  Any other thoughts?

C

What's the input impedance of the Aurora di? Not mic input...the di is probablly much higher.

iampoor1 said:
What's the input impedance of the Aurora di? Not mic input...the di is probablly much higher.

It looks like the Aurora's DI input is 10 megohm, and the Hamptone is only 2.2 megohm.  Couldn't find the impedance for the Chandler or the ART. 

Latest posts

Back