How to make a microphone stand?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Haoxian

I want to know what materials to buy, or do I need to make molds?

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    216.9 KB · Views: 51
Well thats not a microphone stand, that's a Shockmount

This is a microphone stand

451051000001000-00-500x500.jpg

I'm not sure that you would to make such a microphone holder - they are VERY cheap on the international markets these days, e.g.:

https://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/Audio-Mic-Microphone-Shock-Mount-Stand-Holder-with-Integrated-Pop-Filter-Screen-Microphone-Mic-Professional/1040790_32807824046.html

That said, the materials of such holders are usually machined brass, that gets soldered together, and then nickel-plated for finish.

There are even cheaper versions available in spot-welded iron

Jakob E.

This one from aliexpress is rather plastic version. Most of chinese schockmounts, similar looking are made from different metal types as also plastic. Usual metal version have that pointed in description. Also these are more expensive, but still cheap. Some are better quality some are worse, like with many chinese products.

gyraf said:
;D wow - didn't think they'd try making it out of plastic..!

JAkob E.

Yes, many is made of plastic. Some are even not too bad. These from the link i had included to some cheap alliexpress microphones, which i bought for the donor bodies.
Many of AKG shockmounts (not cheap definately) is just made of plastic. Like for example H85 for C414.

I remember in my very earliest days invloved in music , we did make our own mic stand , steering wheel of a car upside down as the base ,broom handle as main upright and mic clip bodged on top , did the job ok untill we could afford something better .

You can buy anything at Amazon. You can even rent a lot of things (like college textbooks) at Amazon.

Back