california

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The report, released Tuesday, ranks states based on a healthy environment and a sense of community. It takes into account each state's urban air quality, pollution and voter participation, among other measures.
Californians scored poorly in part because they’re simply insufferable, U.S. News suggested.
“In addition to a healthy environment, a person’s quality of life is largely a result of their interactions with those around them,” the magazine wrote in a blurb accompanying the results.

One way to measure quality life is whether residents can even afford to have a roof over their heads, and by that standard, California is failing. "

john12ax7 said:
I've considered leaving due to housing and traffic.  But where to go?  The places I like all tend to be equally expensive.
A lot of people like TX, with cities like Austin having a vibrant music scene but it is getting more expensive than it was. 

If you want dirt cheap, move to MS, but all you get for that is cheap dirt.  8)

JR

Austin is becoming a mini California.  Many folks of CA are moving there and turning it slowly into CA. they fail to understand the policies they allowed in CA are what caused them to need or want to leave.

It will take more californians than Austin can hold to change the state of TX significantly while Austin is already left of the rest of TX, probably why it is so attractive to ex-Californicans.

I forgot to mention they have decent micro-brews there too...

JR

Austin is cool,  but yes getting expensive too.  Californians moving there are a driving factor in the prices, which has created somewhat of a backlash.

Nashville is another spot I've considered,  but again there prices also dramatically up.

I wonder how California can survive long term when the middle class can't afford housing. 

john12ax7 said:
Austin is cool,  but yes getting expensive too.  Californians moving there are a driving factor in the prices, which has created somewhat of a backlash.

Nashville is another spot I've considered,  but again there prices also dramatically up.

I wonder how California can survive long term when the middle class can't afford housing.

Another spot california is moving to, Nashville.  At what point will it all implode?

abbey road d enfer said:
Come to New Orleans!
I used to run in a 10k race (crescent city classic) almost every year with 30k+ crazy runners and bands/jambalaya/beer trucks at the finish...  Since my knee squashed my running, and Katrina smashed the region, I haven't visited but seriously considered relocating there (still am).

A lot of people who left after Katrina, never returned but they didn't have much to return to. There was (is) some serious poverty in some poor districts of the city.

Great food and good music if you don't mind living below sea level.

JR

JohnRoberts said:
Katrina smashed the region,
That's what I thought, till I met in 2010 a couple of newlyweds in NY that said they were going to have their honeymoon in NOLA, who reassured me about the state of the city. I've been a visitor every year since, and now a temporary resident since 3 years.

I haven't visited but seriously considered relocating there (still am).
Real estate prices have started to go up seriously compared to last year, but still there are very nice places at prices we can only dream of in Europe.

A lot of people who left after Katrina, never returned but they didn't have much to return to.
Well their houses have been closed, declared unsafe, which is hugely debatable; it's clear "someone" wanted to get rid of those poor black neighbourhoods. South of Tremé is becoming fashionable now, with the new tram line.

There was (is) some serious poverty in some poor districts of the city.
Yes, there still is...

Back