Probably a Dumb Question about LEDs

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RSRecords

Uhh asking for a friend???

So I know that a T1 sized LED is a "3mm" but is that the size I should make the hole in the front panel? For an indicator I mean. 

3mm hole for a 3mm led is fine ,most equipment sets the led more or less flush with the panel ,you could have it protrude also but there's nothing to stop it from becoming pushed back in which case the solder connection could get damaged , a blob of hot glue will secure it ,but theres also led bezels available either in plastic or chrome ,use of these will require a different sized hole .

have a look here,

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2380057.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.Xled+bezel.TRS0&_nkw=led+bezel&_sacat=0

Awesome thanks. I kinda like the clean look of just an led poking through, even if it's less clean on the inside.

RSRecords said:
Awesome thanks. I kinda like the clean look of just an led poking through, even if it's less clean on the inside.
Hello,

you can also use a perfboard.Say it has 5,08 mm (standard 1/10th of an inch,use every second hole) pitch then do your 3 mm holes at that pitch.Put in the leds to the perfboard,then fiddle the leds into their holes,flip the whole thing onto a flat surface,solder.Screw the pcb to the frontpanel.The led string will now sit perfectly flush to the panel,using flat head leds will even look nicer.
No bezels or clips visible then,only 2 screws if bolting the pcb through the panel,totally nice when having pressed-in bolts or screws at the backside.

Just how I prefer it,

best regards,

Udo.

kante1603 said:
Hello,

you can also use a perfboard.Say it has 5,08 mm (standard 1/10th of an inch,use every second hole) pitch then do your 3 mm holes at that pitch.Put in the leds to the perfboard,then fiddle the leds into their holes,flip the whole thing onto a flat surface,solder.Screw the pcb to the frontpanel.The led string will now sit perfectly flush to the panel,using flat head leds will even look nicer.
No bezels or clips visible then,only 2 screws if bolting the pcb through the panel,totally nice when having pressed-in bolts or screws at the backside.

Just how I prefer it,

best regards,

Udo.

Hmm, interesting. since it's for phantom power that might be a cool idea to include the switches and other circuitry. I usually just hang it off the xlr. Have any pictures?

RSRecords said:
Hmm, interesting. since it's for phantom power that might be a cool idea to include the switches and other circuitry. I usually just hang it off the xlr. Have any pictures?
I thought you meant an led meter string or something like that.
A bit overkill for a single one,so I'd solder  it just to anything that can hold it in place there.If an xlr connector is its' direct "neighbour" then yes,use it by direct soldering and bending to fit the position (don't forget the pre resistor).Or use a clip or a screw-in led holder.

Best regards,

Udo.

kante1603 said:
I thought you meant an led meter string or something like that.
A bit overkill for a single one,so I'd solder  it just to anything that can hold it in place there.If an xlr connector is its' direct "neighbour" then yes,use it by direct soldering and bending to fit the position (don't forget the pre resistor).Or use a clip or a screw-in led holder.

Best regards,

Udo.

I see what you mean. It for a phantom power indicator. I was thinking I'd just solder to the switch and bend the led around to the hole. If it doesn't reach I'll just dab it with some hot glue or something.

Here's an example of what I meant,a 5 led indicator in a piece I did a while ago,front view (see upper right corner):

Attachments

• IMGP2173.JPG
    IMGP2173.JPG
    380.4 KB · Views: 45

Latest posts

Back