Drip Build - EQP1A - Replacement Pots with better feel
« on: March 07, 2018, 12:05:17 PM »
Hey DIYers,

I am looking for good quality pots to replace the cheap Bourns Pots that were part of the Mouser BOM.

In the Opto Manual there's an ALPS Pot, that is probably higher grade and I will order for my Opto,
but the Pultec Manual does not mention replacement pots.

I am looking for a better feeling pot, that turns a bit more slowly and precise.

There are the ones I want to replace:

HF ATTEN   1K LIN
HF BOOST   10K LIN
LO ATTEN   100K LOG
LOW BOOST    10K LOG
BAND      2,5K LIN

Would be great to get some good recommendations for pots, that are available in Europe.
Perhaps someone has done that before and can share the knowledge.

Thanks!
Ray

Ilya

Re: Drip Build - EQP1A - Replacement Pots with better feel
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2018, 03:55:29 PM »
Bourns make quite nice pots. Which ones are specified in the BOM? You can look at 51 and 91 series for a replacement. Another option with nice feel is Alpha pots. But they are even cheaper then Bourns.
PCBs, enclosures and build guides at www.rackneve.com

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2018, 06:03:29 PM »
https://www.mouser.de/ProductDetail/652-91A1A-B24-D20L

Looks like it was 91 series. This one turns as soon as you touch it, very unstable.

Ilya

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2018, 06:28:20 PM »
Ok. I checked the pot and it was a 53 series. But torque specs for 53 and 91 series are very close, although they have rather wide margins. Maybe the torque changes from batch to batch. You can also look at 3310 series which has nice feel. But it doesn't have minimum torque specs, so in theory you can get a light one. Although all 3310 pots I bought were rather nice and not easily turned.

P. S. I don't think 7$ pot is cheap. On the other hand, 12$ Honeywell pots are not very pleasant as well. So you never know. I really like Alpha despite being very cheap. It's a pity they are not as compact as 3310.
PCBs, enclosures and build guides at www.rackneve.com

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2018, 11:12:36 PM »
I’ve built two Drip EQP-1A’s with the Bourns pots and have not found the “looseness” to affect the performance. Of course YMMV. These are PCB mount pots so that’s going to limit your choices. If it makes you feel any better, I read Eve Anna Manley has has complaints about the feel of the Bourns pots in their gear, but that they have had nearly zero problems with the Bourns pots. That was good news to me.

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2019, 05:40:59 AM »
Hello there,

AusTex64 so you encounter the same problem with the looseness?
Of course the performance is top notch..but I don't like the fact that
they are too easy to displace...probably will get in touch with Gregory about that.

Thanks
Ray

Rob Flinn

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2019, 07:20:20 AM »
If you are worried about them turning too easily slice a grommet in half & put it behind the knob to add a bit more friction.
regards Rob

« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2019, 03:00:42 PM »
You can probably put a rubber o ring behind the pots. I think that's what manley do ?