DI and microphone plugged into the same preamp input

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

saint gillis

Hello,
For a project I want a mic input and a Hi-Z input using an Amek 2500 preamp :
Amek_2500_micamp.gif

And a Di quite similar to this one, but using a dual +/- PSU :
p35-f3.gif

My question : can I let the Di's output connected to the preamp input while a mic is plugged into the preamp, or is it better to use a switch to switch between "Mic input" , and "Hi-Z" (Di's output into the preamp) ?

You'd need to disconnect the Di when using the mic in on the preamp .To allow maximum flexibillity you could have the xlr out from the DI hooked to the Mic amp input with a short link cable ,that way when using it for mic in you'd simply disconnect the patch cable ,and no need for a switch . Also would be possible to use a balanced switching jack ,where once you plug into the mic amp the DI would automatically be disconnected ,but XLR's are polarised for good reasons , Id go with either a switch or a short xlr female to male link cable .

saint gillis said:
can I let the Di's output connected to the preamp input while a mic is plugged into the preamp
Well, strictly speaking you can (it's your gear, you can do anything you want with it  ;) ), but the output impedance (ca. 200r) of the DI circuit will be loading your microphone, and the DI's noise will be superimposed. I don't think you want that.

abbey road d enfer said:
Well, strictly speaking you can (it's your gear, you can do anything you want with it  ;) ), but the output impedance (ca. 200r) of the DI circuit will be loading your microphone, and the DI's noise will be superimposed. I don't think you want that.
Thank you for your enlightening and pedagogic answer !

Latest posts

Back