Help with wiring gauges (as I rebuild a PSU)

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JML in NYC

Sure could use a helping hand on this one guys...

Just got a Matrix 1000. Wow is that PSU is noisy lil bugger! As an engineer (not a tech!) I am still unclear on how and when to use which gauge. I bought a MeanWell PSU and am going to swap out the noisy one in my Oberhiem Matrix 1000 and I want to know what gauge the OP of THIS (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/electronic-music-instruments-and-electronic-music-production/1006972-oberheim-matrix-1000-psu-fix-guide.html) awesome DIY thread used (pics are all there). I spoke to a rep at Jayco and he said 18 gauge should work to and from the IEC power plug socket and since the unit draws 12V on the 4 output legs I should use 22 gauge for the + and - 22v, and I should use 24 gauge on the + and - 12v legs. All the pics are in that link above. I found this link on eBay for a "lot" of wire. Looks like a deal saver for my brokeass, should I jump on this? My wire cutter looks like it can identify the gauge size, right?

Thanks in advance for help, much appreciated!!

I would strongly suggest using 12 or 14 AWG from the IEC connector. The ground wire should be connected to the casing as well. The original post connected it only to the power supply which is a major safety hazard as a short on the line side would energized the metal chassis and the next person to touch it would get shocked. I'd strongly suggest looking up how grounding is done in industrial automation to see how it should be bonded. Should be fine with 22 AWG from the outputs to the board. If ever in doubt check out the NEC ampacity chart for reference.

Thx homicidemonkey! Where do you guys buy your electronic wire online? I looked on eBay and it's all silicone automotive wire and such. Any direction would be appreciated. Thx

JML in NYC said:
Sure could use a helping hand on this one guys...

Just got a Matrix 1000. Wow is that PSU is noisy lil bugger! As an engineer (not a tech!) I am still unclear on how and when to use which gauge. I bought a MeanWell PSU and am going to swap out the noisy one in my Oberhiem Matrix 1000 and I want to know what gauge the OP of THIS (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/electronic-music-instruments-and-electronic-music-production/1006972-oberheim-matrix-1000-psu-fix-guide.html) awesome DIY thread used (pics are all there). I spoke to a rep at Jayco and he said 18 gauge should work to and from the IEC power plug socket and since the unit draws 12V on the 4 output legs I should use 22 gauge for the + and - 22v, and I should use 24 gauge on the + and - 12v legs. All the pics are in that link above. I found this link on eBay for a "lot" of wire. Looks like a deal saver for my brokeass, should I jump on this? My wire cutter looks like it can identify the gauge size, right?

Thanks in advance for help, much appreciated!!
Typical lamp cord is 18 AWG. So you don't need higher than that for the IEC connector within your box, unless you have some other reason for doing it than safety/correct wire gauge. I think 12 AWG is crazy overkill, and hard to work with too. Good luck getting connectors onto that, or soldering it without a blow torch.

JML in NYC said:
Thx homicidemonkey! Where do you guys buy your electronic wire online? I looked on eBay and it's all silicone automotive wire and such. Any direction would be appreciated. Thx
Steve at Apex Jr. is a great resource. You can buy Teflon-coated silver plated copper wire that is high quality. Another source I've used is BulkWire.com. Of course you'll need to a good stripper.

Latest posts

Back