oddball compressor circuit

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pucho812

Stumbled upon this the other day. I am not quite sure what is going on.  I do know from reading that the 1M pot controls speed and the 25K pot controls how much compression. I can assume that speed would be attack time and that amount of compression would be ratio. But I am still baffled as to how this works ???

Attachments

• 12ax7 tube compressor .jpg
    12ax7 tube compressor .jpg
    16.2 KB · Views: 82
pucho812 said:
Stumbled upon this the other day. I am not quite sure what is going on.  I do know from reading that the 1M pot controls speed and the 25K pot controls how much compression. I can assume that speed would be attack time and that amount of compression would be ratio. But I am still baffled as to how this works ???
Signal is buffered by 1st triode (cath-follow), then rectified by the 2nd triode (diode-connected), charges capacitor ; release time adjusted with 1Meg pot. Rectified signal goes to both sections of the 2nd tube. First half again a cath-followthat drives the 25k pot. The voltage between grid and cath is used to drive the last triode that is used as a voltage-controlled resistor that shunts signal coming from the 470k (the horizontal one). The output signal is high-Z so needs buffering.
The whole circuit being unbalanced, results in thumps.

abbey road d enfer said:
Signal is buffered by 1st triode (cath-follow), then rectified by the 2nd triode (diode-connected), charges capacitor ; release time adjusted with 1Meg pot. Rectified signal goes to both sections of the 2nd tube. First half again a cath-followthat drives the 25k pot. The voltage between grid and cath is used to drive the last triode that is used as a voltage-controlled resistor that shunts signal coming from the 470k (the horizontal one). The output signal is high-Z so needs buffering.
The whole circuit being unbalanced, results in thumps.

Back