USB and the Studio

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
scott2000 said:
There has to be something available for the power??? Most of the new houses around here have usb ports in some outlets now....Wonder how they're doing it....
I'm guessing those only supply the power for USB for things like charging cellphones, but don't have any "connectivity."

benb said:
I'm guessing those only supply the power for USB for things like charging cellphones, but don't have any "connectivity."

Yeah I was a bit confused about what's actually taking place...I saw the mention of needing power in addition to connectivity and the mention of charging stations so figured I'd throw it out there...

Still confused though....

benb said:
That seems to be about right.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Dual-USB-Port-Standard-outlet-2-Socket-Wall-Mount-Power-Plate-Panel-home-etc-/112722305971

They probably have a small switcher supply in there, might not be suitable for a home studio.

Also, note the name on that outlet, don't they have people to check for this sort of thing?  All I can say about that, is "Good for Kung".  ;D

Gene

Currently i'm using two 10m usb extension cables. Computer base is outside the control room. Both cables have built in signal amplifiers. One works for wireless keyboard and mouse - it's ok since these units don't need to much. Second cable is for usb stick, charging cell phones, harddisks etc. It's sometimes problematic, some cell phones don't power up, some hard disk don't power up. Sometimes is problem with data transfer.

ln76d, the problem with the self powered cables is just that... theyre self powered and dont leave much for whatever youre plugging into it.  If you plugged that into a powered hub you'd probably be good to go.

I have a question about the usb over ethernet expanders : do they need their own RJ45 cable or can i plug them into my main internet RJ45 network ?

Both types exist.

Most USB to RJ45 converters are just that. They don't need any software, as they only convert the stream to run on different media.

Networked USB to ethernet boxes have a processor and need software on the computer to redirect the stream from TCP/IP to serial. They're mostly used for serial stuff, like printers, or a terminal. I don't know of any that work for audio interfaces...

What I use to go long distance with audio, is an RME Digiface. 4 ADAT I/O, headphones out. 32 channels in, 34 out. Optical cable works easily over 100 meter. If that's not enough, go MADI, that goes up to 2 km. Disadvantage: preamp gain is on the ADAT input box, so it's not near the computer.

Latest posts

Back