1081 chassis kits, Carnhill/Marinair x-former pcb holders, BA183/283 Heatsinks

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

API

1081 Chassis kits

chassi_front.jpg

So, finally after many years of research and numerous pitfalls i am finally done with the replica chassis for the 1081 module.
I now have a prototype that i am happy with and i am ready to go into production with these since all bits are finally in place.

I have done my absolute best to make this as vintage correct as possible.
I could have choosen to do things an easier and less expensive way, but have strived to do it ”the old way” with real silkscreen, real engraving etc etc.
One thing i had to change though is that all screws except the ones for the frontpanel are M3, frontpanel screws are M2.5 since the larger head of the M3 would alter the appearance to much in my opinion.

Since this have kind of grown with many different manufacturers for the different parts and also since i am planning to make quite a few of these, i have to do this ”legaly” within my company, there is to many dollars involved to do it on the side.
So because of this i am forced to add 25% VAT/Tax to all orders that are sold within the EU.
But, if you do have a valid EU VAT-number there is no tax added (except for Sweden).
So this means that all US, Australian and wherever else there is no VAT or Tax added to the prices below.
If you are a private buyer within the EU there are a few ways to get around this, but you can email me and we most likely can work it out if wanted.

I need to hit 100 orders for this to happen, but i am already up to about 50 in preorders so just need another 50 at least for it to work with this pricing.
Also, the pricing below will only be valid for this first run, i can not guarentee that i can hold this pricing later on, it will more than likely be more expensive in the future.

My friend is working on a pcb for these chassis as well.
He is more or less done with them and is currenty testbuilding a few modules.
These will be available as a full pcb kit with all plugin amps cards, swaged pins, legs and cups already mounted and with the heatsink for the 340 amp included to.
Exact price is not set but around 180-200 euro per set.
I believe we will do a sperate thread or those, but not sure yet, but they will be available for sure.

1081 Chassis kit

chassi_back_s.jpeg
chassi_inside_s.jpeg

The basic kit will be for a 1081 chassis with a RAF blue/grey painted and silkscreened (in both colors) frontpanel and all needed screws, including the machined, knurled fastener at the bottom.
Also the pcb bars and output transformer plate inside the chassis are included in the kit.

Please note that in the pictures above the metalwork is unplated.
The finished product will be nickelplated as the originals were.

This kit will cost 160 euros (plus tax)
I will offer a 10% discount if you buy 10 or more chassis.

Then the following add-ons will be offered:

Pushswitches with brackets and engraved buttons

Switches are Chinese made but made to the same standard and specs as the old ITT/Schadow switches and are of higher quality than the Toneluck brand that AMS-Neve uses today.
Buttons will be engraved and filled with paint like the old ones.

This kit will consist of:
4 x 2PDT switches with all brackets
4 x 4PDT switches with all brackets
2 x HiQ engraved buttons
2 x Ω engraved Q-buttons
1 x PH square button
1 x EQ square button
1 x SOLO square button
1 x Blank square button.

Switch and button kit will cost 70 euro (plus tax)

Marconi knob kits for most Neve modules

marconi.jpeg

Knobs are the Chinese version that is readily available but the aluminium frequency selector knob is a custom made part, machined from solid aluminium with the knurled sides and the correct satin grey anodization (which no other manufacturer do).

1081 Marconi kit:
1 x Red winged gain knob 6mm insert
4 x Grey Eq gain 1/8” insert
1 x Blue HP/LP 1/8” insert
5 x Aluminium selctor knob 1/4” insert

60 euro (plus tax)

1084 Marconi kit:
3 x Grey Eq gain 1/8” insert
1 x Blue HP/LP 1/8” insert
4 x Aluminium selctor knob 1/4” insert

50 euro (plus tax)

1073/1066 Marconi kit:
1 x Grey treble gain 1/4” insert
2 x Grey Eq gain 1/8” insert
1 x Blue winged with skirt HP 1/4” insert
2 x Aluminium selctor knob 1/4” insert

35 euro (plus tax)

Input transformer holders

trafoholder_1.jpg
trafoholder.jpg

These are exact replicas of the original input transformer holders that are soldered to the PCB in 1081 modules (and many others).
They each hold one Marinair, St Ives or Carnhill transformer to the pcb.
In addition to the 1081 cards i would imagine that these will be useful for other DIY projects as well.
They are made of nickelplated brass and have the exact same size as the original part.

I am also taking wholesale orders on these, please contact me if you need 50 or more.

Price: 7 euro each (plus tax)

BA183/283 3N2055 Heatsinks.

heatsink.jpeg

This is for the real nerd that wants to go all the way, perfect replicas of the aluminium heatsinks for the BA183 and BA283 cards that use the 3N2055 output transistors.
Machined aluminium that is anodized black.
Old ones at the top and my replicas at the bottom of the pic above.

I am also taking wholesale orders on these, please contact me if you need 50 or more.

Price: 6 euros each (plus tax)

To place and order or for any questions, please email me directly at: dennis at 9voltstudio dot se

Thanks!
I am in the process of contacting everyone that have expressed interest in the past.
Hopefully we can reach about 100 chassis soon!

I think I share my thought on this with many others here.
Damn I want 4 or more of these!! 8 would be just perfect! :) But the cost would be ridiculous, and thats before adding VAT  :'(
Dennis: Really nice work. You got the correct amount of enthusiasm; boarderline nutcase  ;)

Dennis,
Looks great!

I have emailed you..

I am interested in buying a number of 1081 chassis, but would need a rack as the stripped console I wanted to buy has gone.

How certain are you that you will provide a rack?
Thx
Mark

Definitely in for 2 1081 chassis + switches + knobs.
Still dream of 10 to 16 but I don't have the money for the moment...

Impressive work, I'm thrilled about what you're going to do with yours...

Hi guys, have been off my emails for two weeks due to work and personal stuff, but back on track again!
Will reply to everyone tomorrow.

I will do a rack, thats very solid!
It wont be to expensive either since its only a couple of pieces of alu.
Connectors are still the main problem, but I will solve that, if not in any other way you will need to plug them in manually in each model, but i think i can solve the issue.

API said:
Hi guys, have been off my emails for two weeks due to work and personal stuff, but back on track again!
Will reply to everyone tomorrow.

I will do a rack, thats very solid!
It wont be to expensive either since its only a couple of pieces of alu.
Connectors are still the main problem, but I will solve that, if not in any other way you will need to plug them in manually in each model, but i think i can solve the issue.

Honestly, if we the end user have to hardwire some connectors to the modules I think that will be fine. As long as the modules have a frame to mount in and place to attach some switches for phantom power I think that will cover what most of us are looking for. The alternative off the shelf rack is about $3k USD, so I think a simplistic frame that does the job would be welcomed. If someone needs a fancy commercial looking rack then maybe they would want to take this project even further and sort out all the metal work, etc. I think you have done enough already making these fantastic looking modules for us!

Thanks!

Paul

Thank alot Paul!

Ok, maybe i am putting to much wheight on my shoulders!
The basic rack with rails is not a big problem, easy to do all the cutouts on the back for mic/line inputs and output, plus powersupply input.

But i need to start the order for the cases before i go any further, but there will be a rack for those who want one!

I also got confirmation that the pcb´s are more or less ready to be produced, so let me know who is interested in those.
Will post pictures shortly of them.

Here is the list of interested parties so far, please let me know if I forgot you or if you want to get on the list!
As i have said, I need to hit about 100 orders before i start production.

16-24 Dennis
32 Micke
16 Tommie
4 Jarek
1 Kvintus
2 Lolo-M
2 Paul
16 Serg
16 Tommy

I know there was alot of other people that showed interest before, and i have tried to reach out to everyone.
I just need another 20-25 or so orders before we are off!

Regards
Dennis

Hey Dennis!
You forgot about me!)
I'll take at least 16 pcs.
I'll answer to your email as well.
Cheers,
Serg.

That is great news Serg.
I was waiting to hear back from you!

I also have another guy that most likely wants 16 chassis, so if that happens we are ready to go!

I will take 2 1081 chassis with switch sets. Maybe 3 depending on when money is due for order. thanks scot i will send message to the email fr orders. thanks

Dennis,

Your inbox is full (again), can you please clear it out so I can PM you?

I have tried emailing you also, so maybe check that..

Thx,
Mark

For sale..........1081 pcbs and switches...

Attachments

• pcbs.jpg
    pcbs.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 48
Hi guys.

We are getting very close to placing the order, i have two people i need to get confirmation from this week, then we are off!
Hopefully i can get these done before the industrial vacation starts here in Sweden in July.

Here are  a few pics i got from my friend that is making the pcbs for this project.
His last version is the dark green one on the far right which is the final color.
He will add all labeling and component placing to the final version as well.
He have test built the curcuit as you can see on the left and it works perfectrly when he is comparing to his AMS reissue
So looks pretty good to my eyes!

Tomorrow i will post some pics with comparisons between my chassis and a vintage Neve 1081 that i just bought.
Looks spot on!

neve_1081_pcb_1.jpg

neve_1081_pcb_2.jpg

As promised here are a few comparison pics between my chassis and an original Neve chassi.
There are a few very minor differences, but nothing that realy affects the look or performance in my opinion.

Please note that my chassis is still unplated in these pictures and that i have used a vintage frontpanel.

Let me know what you think!

neve_1081_chassi_comp_4.jpg

neve_1081_chassi_comp_3.jpg

neve_1081_chassi_comp_1.jpg

neve_1081_chassi_comp_8.jpg

neve_1081_chassi_comp_9.jpg

neve_1081_chassi_comp_10.jpg

Good.  Lots of hard work there.  :)

I like how the subfacia and back panel have folded over edges like original, makes getting the side panels on easier, so don't catch the edge.

Are you including thumbscrews?  They are not in the photos.  (for bottom centered hole to secure the module in a frame or rack)  What threading will you use?  Would be handy to have it close or compatible with the original threading, (something naturally close but still metric might work) so they could screw at least a half turn or so when in a vintage frame or rack with the old british standard threading, and hold it snug. 

Are the PCB rods the original dimensions?  They look thicker from those angles?  (Every spare millimeter will be useful for packing in the mother board, daughter cards and heat sinks all on top of the rods... and big wire bundles...  :)  Are they aluminium?

Thanks for all the work on this.

Back