How do people do it? Buying a new console

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mbira

I've been lusting after a "real" console with automation, DAW control and the whole deal.  It's just so crazy to me that something like a 24 channel SSL AWS 924 is $80,000!! 

I'm not really saying that I don't understand why it costs so much, it's more that I just don't understand how anyone can afford one in this industry.  Certainly no small personal studios can afford one unless the person is rich from some other business.  I'm 42 years old now.  I hope I get a chance to really put lots of hours working on my own music on a board like that before I die!

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/AWS924--solid-state-logic-aws-924?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI2OCQ9oyD2gIVl7XACh1CYwkpEAAYASAAEgLM9_D_BwE

I've seen used ones go for a good bit less making it a lot more doable,  lots of deals to be had, at least in LA

My frustration is the insane rents here for proper studio space to put the gear in.  I regret not buying a 1608 a couple years back. I could afford the board,  just nowhere to put it.

Mbira said:
I've been lusting after a "real" console with automation, DAW control and the whole deal.  It's just so crazy to me that something like a 24 channel SSL AWS 924 is $80,000!!

I have 3 friends / clients with AWS consoles and none of them paid $80k, it was significantly less.  All were bought new.

They are great consoles and I can definitely see how something like that would seem like the missing puzzle piece but IMO it's not the case.  If I was tracking indie projects for myself I would prefer something with more flavor and on commercial work there is no time for recall so you'd end up using it as a headphone mixer and DAW control surface.

Given the choice between between more gear and more time I would choose the latter every time!

ruairioflaherty said:
I have 3 friends / clients with AWS consoles and none of them paid $80k, it was significantly less.  All were bought new.

They are great consoles and I can definitely see how something like that would seem like the missing puzzle piece but IMO it's not the case.  If I was tracking indie projects for myself I would prefer something with more flavor and on commercial work there is no time for recall so you'd end up using it as a headphone mixer and DAW control surface.

Given the choice between between more gear and more time I would choose the latter every time!

I wonder what the real new price is then after calling in all the favors.

Mbira said:
I wonder what the real new price is then after calling in all the favors.

Tens of thousands less.  It's all about timing, cancelled orders, overstock, dealers under pressure, end of quarter sales targets etc..

I expect big dog consoles are a disappearing breed (which means bargains on used market. )

I was trying to sell a large split console for <$20k back in the 90s and got killed*** in the market by a $4k inline.

The race to the bottom has picked up speed if anything.

JR

*** Of course it is a little more complicated than just price, but bang for the buck and market expectations have changed.

JohnRoberts said:
I expect big dog consoles are a disappearing breed (which means bargains on used market. )

I was trying to sell a large split console for <$20k back in the 90s and got killed*** in the market by a $4k inline.

The race to the bottom has picked up speed if anything.

JR

*** Of course it is a little more complicated than just price, but bang for the buck and market expectations have changed.

I think a big reason is that integrated DAW automation has become such an indispensable part of the mixing process for people that any old big board isn't going to work for a large percentage of people. 

Mbira said:
Certainly no small personal studios can afford one unless the person is rich from some other business.

I can confirm that.
Small studios can't have the investment return.

I can confirm also that the people (studios) I know that bought a large format or expensive consoles in the last 10 years are Rich.
Rich people that read more magazines and books than have experience in recording or mixing.

I can also confirm that having an analog console or not, is not related at all to the quality of the final product.

Funny, this morning I started servicing automation faders for a ‘not as refurbished as it should be’ SSL4000G, 48 channel.

The studio isn’t using original computer but a Tangerine Automation Interface by THD Labs.

It’s a brand new studio, coming from different small studio owners.

They work enough to justify having the console there, now with Automation and total recall it will be even more in use.

No more MSDOS alike interfaces, you can do control software via an iPad or anything with network browsing capabilities.

And I think they didn’t cross the 80k line, maybe the will after a pair of years paying power bills...

I wouldn’t do it for my own studio, I prefer to be the tech servicing that system  ;)

To address the original post, and I don’t mean to be snarky or discouraging, however...

I don’t think many people own a console like what you’re talking about for purely personal use... 

And I second what whoops said... a nice analog console is not going to make your mixes somehow amazing...  it may be a pleasure to work on, but I’ve heard some pretty crap mixes off a 100k console and some pretty amazing ones on a laptop...

I’m not suggesting gear doesn’t matter, just to not let it make you feel like you can’t make great mixes in the box or in another more affordable hybrid situation.  I can think of a number of Grammy winning engineers that are 100% in the box these days... 

Anyway I apologize if this is off topic but all to often I’ve found myself thinking I needed this or that only to find I had what I needed within reach.

One has to know why he wants to own a mixer (ergonomics are a prime factor, IMO), particularly an analog one. I've heard and read many comments about " the fabulous SSL, Neve, API, ... at whoever's place)", never about "the fabulous Mac Pro".

who says they do.  A lot are financed from the bank or other Shylock.  Some get to pay it off just in time to buy another one.  In one case here in l.a. they took a loan out for millions using publishing to songs they had not written. they used the money to open a studio. it closed, their console was repossessed due to not making a payment on it,  and  they went to jail for bank  fraud.

Remember there is plenty of big money out there. 80% of the worlds wealth is in the hands of 10% of of the people. Those are the people buying consoles. Us average guys have to make do with Soundcraft et al.

Cheers

Ian

Latest posts

Back