U67 IOAUDIO build sounds like im recording outside in a storm

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mica

Is it a loose connection or the tube maybe? Got the tube from Christian Whitmore. Supposed to be real quiet. The B+ is 210V just checked it.

Need help where to look for errors  :'(

Noise:
http://soundz.dk/noiseu67.mp3

EDIT: Tried a different tube. Same noise..

Make sure all the connections in the hi impedance area are cleaned thoroughly. It might be a tare in the capsule membrane, but that would probably not make a constant noice like that unless theres a very obvious tare in the membrane. Also make sure all the connections to the capsule is secure.
I had an issue like this with my u67 builds and all noise went away after i cleaned the solder joints.

The capsule is looking totally mint. No issues there. I tried resoldering some points and giving it a good clean, but still noise..

A simple way of checking this, is to disconnect the capsule and connect a capacitor (82 pF) between the grid of the tube and ground. If the noise is still there, you can eliminate the capsule.

I have another capsule i could try, but the one in there now is a brand new TSKguy U67 capsule.. Why could it be the capsule making that kind of noise? Just curious..

Try re flowing the capsule wiring to the PCB. I've had similar noise before and found a dodgy connection was the culprit.

It turned out to be a PSU issue feeding the tube too high voltage (heater) Took it to a local studio guru / repairguy. The 100$ NOS Mullard tube from Christian Whitmore was damaged and making the noise :(
But its fixed now (heater back at -6.2V) with a new (cheaper) tube and sounding lovely with no noise! :)

And thank you Eric for chiming in. Its one of your capsules in the build :)

Haha yes i know.. I was embarrassed to write it just now, because it was such a dumb mistake, but maybe it could help others searching for similar issues..

:)

Learning from mistakes is indeed one of the best lessons. But, of course, it's easier and/or less painful(?) if you can learn from others' mistakes - we've all been there ;D

Latest posts

Back