Eyelets / Solder Lugs - how to press them into the board

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flatresponse

Hi,

does someone here on this fore know something about tools for pressing or hammering eyelets / solder lugs into glas fiber boards ? There is little to no information to be found on the internet - mayby just because it´s outdated ?

There´s a press at reichelt, but it´s 203Euro for the hand press alone, tools for special sizes additional 70Euro, which is a bit above my budget - since I only need it for a small batch of boards. Help appreciated.

Manfred.

flatresponse said:
Hi,

does someone here on this fore know something about tools for pressing or hammering eyelets / solder lugs into glas fiber boards ? There is little to no information to be found on the internet - mayby just because it´s outdated ?

There´s a press at reichelt, but it´s 203Euro for the hand press alone, tools for special sizes additional 70Euro, which is a bit above my budget - since I only need it for a small batch of boards. Help appreciated.

Manfred.

Hi,

you should find used eyelet pressing machines on ebay starting from 50$ i think

here is a basic eyelet staking tool for the most common used eyelets (50€ from mouser): https://www.mouser.de/ProductDetail/Keystone-Electronics/1721?qs=%2fha2pyFaduhDmxbs%252bmjRwoK6bFC8eAktXNSzJ3B6wUw=

maybe this also helps: http://www.keyelco.com/category.cfm/Eyelets-Staking-Tools/Staking-Tools/id/868

I’ve had good luck using a center punch and drilling a hole to support the piece to be swaged in a piece of metal. 

@ weiss:
the used eyelet pressing machines on ebay are mostly made for a larger diameter than I need.
But thanks for the hint on mouser.
I know he has it all, but I´m nearly always lost with mouser´s search engine, so thanks again.
Maybe that really is, what I´m looking for.

@ Paul:
You lucky fella, you seem to know, what you´re doing. I´m still on my way.

I’m really just making one of those swage tools with what I have at hand. If you have a center punch with a tip that fits in the part of the eyelet that goes on the board then you can make the other piece by drilling a hole in a piece of metal.

Do you have a drill press already or something similar? You can buy a turret staking tool for $10. Usually people use these in a press,  but I suppose you could also just use it and hammer them in.

You can also buy boards with turrets already installed.

@ Paul:
Thanks for being so patient.
I understand the part with the center punch, so you can press or hammer the eyelet into the board. But I thought on the other side there shouldn´t be a hole, rather a swale to form the tube side of the eyelet like a ring - and help it to fix the whole thing. Or did  I misunderstand you ?
Sorry for the attempt to describe a process I´m just beginning to understand..

@ John:
I got a drill rig for my drilling machine (is that what you were talking about ?) which might be helpful.
Maybe it would be fine to start learning by buying a staking tool and hammer the eyelets in.
The turret boards you are mentioning don´t fit the setup I wanna do and I made a design already.

A picture´s telling more than thousand words, John. Looks pretty simple.
He´s doing turret lugs and I´m working on eyelets, but the process is more or less the same.
The trick is to have eyelets with - I think - 150% length of the size of your board to have them crimped just enough and not too much.
I hope that´s right.
Anyhow, thanks for the video !
Best
Manfred.

Back