Transformer Color Box

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wordsushi

Was reading the preview of that old Tape Op article about adding a transformer into the chain to induce more color. https://tapeop.com/tutorials/76/transformers/

Sounds easy enough, right? And it got me thinking about experimenting with something like this, so I'm asking for your best informed opinions.

My singular use is VO and I record completely ITB with an Apollo Twin so  would a switchable transformer color box work in between the mic and the Apollo?

And if so, what specific transformer(s) would you suggest for this purpose? I'm particularly interested in CineMag and Jensen traffos for this purpose, but very curious to hear what others suggest.

Note: I get it that phantom can't be passed through the transformer, but in my particular setup, the mics in my booth first go into a Radial Gold Digger mic switcher where they get phantom before going into the Apollo.

Thanks!

Wordsushi said:
adding a transformer into the chain to induce more color.
And if so, what specific transformer(s) would you suggest for this purpose?
color:  UTC.  especially the LS series
transparency:  Western Electric 111c and equivalent
allow me to add:  some coils touted for "low color/minimal phase" sound anemic.
they are a waste of time and money.

Wordsushi said:
Note: I get it that phantom can't be passed through the transformer
transformers with center taps are easily configured to pass phantom.

gridcurrent said:
color:  UTC.  especially the LS series
transformers with center taps are easily configured to pass phantom.

Thanks! I'll do some searching around for how to configure a center tap transformer. And thanks for the recommend. I started looking at some UTC A-21's. There's a guy who posted a YouTube video with UTC's plugged in between his mic and pre. The differences are subtle, but very interesting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FPqPvp-SXlU

Also, I saw this photo  of someone's transformer color box online using UTC's. I see he's tied the ground to Pin 4 on the Secondary with a resistor. Can't make it out myself, but any ideas what size this resistor could be?

Attachments

• Transformer box with resistor.jpg
    Transformer box with resistor.jpg
    179.6 KB · Views: 172
Slightly confused by this. Is "transparency" similar to/same as "low color/minimal phase"? If it is different, how so?

gridcurrent said:

fazeka said:
Slightly confused by this. Is "transparency" similar to/same as "low color/minimal phase"? If it is different, how so?
my apologies for the bad wording.
just my opinion that many "transparent" transformers sound lifeless and a  bit anti-musical.
111c imparts less color than UTC or Triads, but retains musicality.

Thanks for the clarification. I consider the WE 111C "transparent".  Are you saying that the 111C in your opinion is an exception compared to other "transparent"  transformers? Not trying to stir anything up, just initiating some conversation.  :)

fazeka said:
I consider the WE 111C "transparent".  Are you saying that the 111C in your opinion is an exception compared to other "transparent"  transformers?
yes indeed.  it is in a class all it's own.
done many tests with transformers directly feeding A to D chips, source impedance issues taken into consideration. 
111c hands down the least coloured yet musical. 
would rather not elaborate on the tests.

Cool.

I plan on doing a box with a trio of the following: A20, HS56 and 111C. I'd swap the A20 for a LS30 if I get my hot little hands on one.  :p

fazeka said:
Cool.

I plan on doing a box with a trio of the following: A20, HS56 and 111C. I'd swap the A20 for a LS30 if I get my hot little hands on one.  :p

Sounds rad, man.  I'm curious. Is this box intended for a line-level signal (post preamp), or pre the preamp?

The former, didn't know/think I could use as the latter...?

Wordsushi said:
Sounds rad, man.  I'm curious. Is this box intended for a line-level signal (post preamp), or pre the preamp?

Latest posts

Back