$100k plus mics on drum kit!

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And then what we hear is the camera microphone!  ;D
(By the way: I would never use such expensive microphones on a drumkit, you never know what the drummer is going to hit!)

RuudNL said:
And then what we hear is the camera microphone!  ;D

Nope, this is rough tracking mix, maybe some eq, but this is exactly how these mics sound recorded to the tape with minimal processing. Room mic fader is quite high, what made you think it was camera sound.

Any idea of the studio?

Looks like AKG 451EB on snare.

And what's the hat mic?

Love the Camco kick pedal!

Hi all,

The studio in the video is/was Schnee Studio in Los Angeles.  The former owner Bill Schnee sold the studio in 2015 to Larrabee Studios, which is also home to mixing engineer Manny Marroquin.  At one point, Bill owned one of the biggest microphone collections around; certainly less than Blackbird, Abbey Road and Ocean Way, but right up there.

Look Bill Schnee up and also look up the Shefield Labs transformerless tube microphones made by Doug Sax - good reads!

At one point, Bill had eight original ELA M 251's that he had no problem using on drums.  In fact, there are YouTube videos of George Massenburg discussing his use of Bill's drum miking techniques. 

Bill's a real treasure and a lover of New York City pizza as well - not that you needed that information.

Best,

Greg

80's are perfect example how musicians matter, and not the gear. As Ruud said one would expect 100.000 $ drum sound, but it's just not there.

Hmmmm...... my drum-rack* - (even together with the [trigger]-microphones and effect rack used with it) - was way cheaper and provides everything one needs.  And yes, it never comes to late, it is never drunken and it always keeps the beat.  8)

* 1x Simmons SDS-1000M, 2x Roland R-8M, 1x Roland TR-505, 2x Roland U-110, 2x Roland U-220, 1x Korg DDD-1, 1x Korg DRM-1, 1x Korg DDM-110, 1x Emu Proteus/2 XR, 1x Emu Pro-Cussion, 1 Alesis D4, 2x Alesis DM5, 1x Yamaha RX11,.....

RuudNL said:
(By the way: I would never use such expensive microphones on a drumkit, you never know what the drummer is going to hit!)

Actually, it's easy to know what they'll hit. You look at the pattern on the batter heads. Unless they were just replaced and nobody's even warmed up, you have a perfect statistical history of where the sticks have hit the drum. This also helps you to position the mike to get the right amount of 'point' - you can aim the mike's HF beam at the magic spot or aim it away as required.

The only time I've had a problem with drummers and microphones was when they repositioned them - got a small grille dent in a pristine TLM 170 used on the floor tom. Jerk! So, my rule is, if I position them, they stay put. Otherwise, you don't get to play the drums LOL!

I repaired many hit by drummers SM57, MD441, MD421, D224, C451 etc. Some were hit so hard, that the coils were ripped off the diaphragm. Putting good mike on the drums always is a risk, good to know the drummer first or use e604 on each drum except the kick  :D

I don't think Jeff Porcaro was the kind if drummer who hits things unintentionally.

Btw i am suuuuper satisfied with mxl603 type mics on toms. Kill any dynamic i tried there. And they can hit them all day long for 30$ piece.

Latest posts

Back