How to wind a champ Output transformer

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Pete,
That looks easily do-able , only thing for me was the use of the alu-foil tape ,I think an insulated tape might be more appropriate .
I guess with a guitar amp carefully layering the primary isnt really nessesary ,as frequency responce isnt to critical in the end .

Well ,who really knows how the adhesive goo on the underside of alu foil tape might react to the insulating properties of the particular grade of magnet wire you have ,theres a lot of variables and unknowns,what happens if the foil itself degrades due to moisture and forms sharp crystals  ,Im only just about scratching the surface of transformer winding here ,but it would seem to me the lesser the posibillity of any covalent exchanges between materials would be the safer bet in the longer run ,pure gut instinct of course ,Im tending towards regular 'plumbers white' ptfe tape as an intermediate insulator in transformer windings ,its easy to gather it up to take up any gaps in the winding for the purposes of start/finish alignment of layers ,thin enough to lay down a single layer between consecutive layers of say a HV primary ,or you could go several layers between pri/sec  where a high  voltage differential exists. CJ's teardowns reveal bizzare selection animal, mineral and vegetable 'packers' in the windings of old transformers ,something thats at least resistant to moisture ingress would seem to be a good way to go.The physics of good coil winding technique were layed down a long time before we all existed,but surely modern material can save us on  'window' space and optimise copper density on the core.I realise when I get called on my words here ,its actually just a promt in the right direction from the people in the know and not a knock ,thank you .

Latest posts

Back