Any reason to use this rare Studer psu for a 169 console or just get new one?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

outraged

hello, I was wondering if I should use this rare Studer external psu with a Dse 169 console or if the psu will affect the sound at all? Since I keep hearing mixed opinions and if it doesn't affect the sound I feel I should just sell it and get a cheaper psu since the studer is a supposed collectors item. Opinions?

Also the Dse has a 7 pin power connector so I'm not really sure how to wire that psu up to it (I suck at Diy :( ) .

Thank you for your time and thoughts!

Attachments

• IMG_2372.jpg
    IMG_2372.jpg
    938.4 KB · Views: 28
Hello

The Studer "PSU" you show is not a "full" supply, but a trafo unit with pre regulated single 14V, only compatible with the 169/269 version fitted with the DC/DC regulator (in opposite to the AC/DC full onboard power pack version)

Don't know what choices DSE make to power they clones, but from here right now I don't think you can use this...

Best
Zam

Thanks for the info. 
Like I said I suck at this. All studer parts work with Dse as far as I'm aware,  they are literally 95% identical to the originals and were made as a Studer subsidiary.  and they both use 14.2v power. But I have no idea. I guess I'll just commission a psu for this thing and sell this Studer trafo box since they are fetching ridiculous prices.

Appreciate the response!

Hmm.. Found the manual and it just made me more confused about this Studer box. lol - ftp://ftp.studer.ch/public/products/Mixing_Analog/169-269/Technical_Info/PI_1977-17_DEF_169_Accessories.pdf p

outraged said:
Hmm.. Found the manual and it just made me more confused about this Studer box. lol - ftp://ftp.studer.ch/public/products/Mixing_Analog/169-269/Technical_Info/PI_1977-17_DEF_169_Accessories.pdf p

If you have the manual everything should be crystal clear... as Studer manuals are...
Best
Zam

Thanks for the info zamproject and sorry I'm such a noob.

Hopefully this is the power stabilizer you are talking about? Because I just bought it. Was told it was for the 169 but if not at least they offer returns (which is refreshing).

Attachments

• s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    219.6 KB · Views: 4
Hello

No... this is regulator for large 9xx series
the 169 have other cards.

look at whole section 7.3

There is two version

-power pack "trafo" + regulator card, all onboard
-trafo box (pre-regulated) + onboard DC-DC convertor

the second option let room in the frame for battery holder, that's why the trafo is outboard (the box you show at first post)

try to identify what card is fitted in your desk, Stabilizer 1.169.112 (section 7.3/4) or DC-DC converter 1.169.117 (section 7.3/12)

Best
Zam

Latest posts

Back