Anyone listened to JBL 705P or 708P?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A few times, at trade shows.  Once in a pretty good demo environment. 

They were pretty good but the high end is not for me, a failure of most of the modern JBL stuff to my ear.  Just a little ratty.

ruairioflaherty said:
A few times, at trade shows.  Once in a pretty good demo environment. 

They were pretty good but the high end is not for me, a failure of most of the modern JBL stuff to my ear.  Just a little ratty.

What do they sound like after a couple of pints of Guinness??

Cheers

Ian

ruairioflaherty said:

Interesting.  I'm coming from LSR 28P's.  What do you think bests the 708P in a similar price/performance point?  How does the 705P perform compared to the708P?

I heard the jbl 700 series in a demo by the designer before the came out.  This was at the local monthly  brain trust meeting.  In a restaurant room with no acoustics  and minimal set up time,  sounded impressive.

emrr said:
Interesting.  I'm coming from LSR 28P's.  What do you think bests the 708P in a similar price/performance point?  How does the 705P perform compared to the708P?

Well, I haven't had them in my room or heard them against a known speaker in a decent room (which I have with most every other type of speaker out there).  So in that context..

1) I like the LSR28Ps, they certainly feel smoother to me in the high end that the new models
2) A very personal question.  I do some work with PMC and I think the twotwo6 is a very solid speaker for the money, the Neumann KH310 is also excellent. The ATC 2 ways are bass shy but nice.
3) I don't really have an opinion on 705 vs 708, the 705 definitely had the traits of a small box trying harder in the demo I heard.

If 90% of what we read about Audio on the net is wrong then it seems speakers have even worse odds, I read baffling stuff on a daily basis.  I avoid commenting on speakers I don't like as it looks like one brand bashing another.

ruairioflaherty said:
Well, I haven't had them in my room or heard them against a known speaker in a decent room (which I have with most every other type of speaker out there).  So in that context..

1) I like the LSR28Ps, they certainly feel smoother to me in the high end that the new models

Are there any others in this price range that you have had the chance to compare? Any thoughts?

A former boss of mine is the head of the Harman touring line, and had me come out and see the facility in CA and had me meet their studio speaker guy who had all new monitors setup from the cheap guitar center ones all the way up to the M2's, which I plan on buying later this year. They did not have the powered version of the 708/705's as they hadn't be developed at the time, but they did have the passive versions which sounded really great. The new horn flair design is phenomenal as it seems to make sitting in one place in a room to hear the "sweet spot" almost non existent. Their new amp designs are pretty great as well. I think you will be very happy, especially after any room treatment/tuning going the 705/708 route. No, I don't work for JBL.

Thanks!

Paul

scott2000 said:
Are there any others in this price range that you have had the chance to compare? Any thoughts?

I've spent some time with pretty much everything out there but being affiliated with a manufacturer I don't post about things I don't like online.  In person you will be sorry you ever asked, I can go all day  :)

Back