Grandpa's Kitchen

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

desol

This chicken recipe looks really amazing. Currently my favorite cooking 'show'.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTlfpyJL7yU

Anybody else cooking up something good lately? I'm trying these drumsticks tomorrow.

edit:this looks amazing too. Biriyani Prawns...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HU9E-CDCHQg

I love how little is said in all the videos. It's weirdly compelling, especially in the earlier videos where there aren't any subtitles.

He looks like an experienced cook, and I enjoy how he is providing for the community. I have to work my way up to the biriyani dish; looks a little complicated for me at this point. Nice how they seal the pot and throw the coals on top. For sure doing the chicken tomorrow tho; I picked up the ingredients tonight. I would like to make a donation or something in the future, if possible, if only for helping my meager cooking skills :) and to give to them.

The cheeseburger looks amazing as well. Really great stuff.

I have been cooking chicken (barnyard pimps) for decades.  In fact when I was a young puke I had to feed the chickens in the morning before going to school.  My mom used to grab them by the head and spin them around to rip off their heads, so the old saying about a like chicken running around with its head cut off is a real thing.  :p

There are many ways to cook chicken. Back decades ago I would soak the chicken overnight in (cheap) beer to increase it's water content and make it hard to over cook on the barbecue grill. For the last decade or two the food processors already pump them up with so much salt water, you couldn't get another drop inside with a pressure hose.  I don't enjoy paying chicken rates for buying salt water, but that's the world we live in today.

JR

PS: For years in an attempt to eat healthy I remove the skin before cooking because it contains a lot of fat, but for outdoor barbecue you need a substrate to hold all the barbecue sauce so the skin stays on.  ;D  Indoor (slow overnight ) cooking, I have a fat separator so I can remove even more of the fat. It may not taste as good as the barbecued chicken, but it will kill me more slowly.

My favorite way to cook a chicken is to use the whole chicken on the BBQ.  You get a whole chicken.  Next you get a beer of your choice but has to be in a can. Then you shove the can up the open hole of the chicken, having the chicken upright.  Lastly you run the BBQ with the chicken like that until cooked.  The beer will constantly rise and marinate the chicken as it cooks.  The result is a most and juicy chicken.  I even have a contraption for holding my beer and chicken so it doesn't fall over. 

Grandpa chicken turned out good...  ;D Nice spicy/ginger/garlic hue with cilantro/Indian overtones. Already have slight modifications for next time, that I think Grandpa already knows. ;) More salt, garlic and red chili pepper...and a  bit longer cook time. Very nice for first time batch tho...well worth it. Oh, and...'curd' in Indian amounts to unsweetened yogurt...something I confused as well.

Attachments

• Grandpa chicken.JPG
    Grandpa chicken.JPG
    83.1 KB · Views: 11
I found his Patreon page yesterday and decided to pledge a bit in thanks for the great recipe's, and support for their community efforts! :) https://www.patreon.com/grandpakitchen/posts

Scott Rea inspired me to up my chicken game.  I can de-bone a bird with ease now.  The thing I like about stuffing a de-boned chicken is that it turns out  very fancy from simple work and the fresh carcass bits get made into soup.  I stuff with onions, spinach and sweet sausage with just a dusting of bread crumbs to get the "stuffing taste" without bread blobs.
His chicken wing lollypops are also fun to cook and serve!
Mike

I like the concept, but it's still a little too well produced for my YouTube tastes. I like the videos where the camera just starts up and "hey guys, I've got a whole bunch of chicken wings and let's see what happens", shaky cam and the whole bit.

Latest posts

Back