don't feed the trolls

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JohnRoberts

Staff member
GDIY Supporter
https://99u.adobe.com/articles/25151/dont-feed-the-haters-the-confessions-of-a-former-troll

some excerpts
1 said:
They’re bored: Trolls lack stimulation “IRL” (in real life), for good or ill, so they seek it online where it’s readily available and easily acquired. A troll’s behavior reflects a deep insecurity so having someone respond to their words gives life meaning,
2 said:
They want attention: All a troll wants is you to turn the spotlight onto them. They want you to repost their comment
don'tfeed the troll said:
Don’t Feed The Trolls
The reason we respond to negative comments is the same reason a troll does what they do: ego. When someone unknown comes at us, it’s part of our human nature to defend ourselves.
can't win said:
You may delude yourself into thinking that you proved them wrong, however, never in my years of dealing with trolls have I seen a troll lay down his or her arms and say, “You know what, you’re right. I was so wrong.”

The article was written by a gamer, but some universal truths about anti-social internet posting behavior.

JR

I have to admit, the first part of that article describing their attack on the virtual wedding had me laughing.

Ahahaha...That is pretty funny.....

What is interesting is when the writer said....

"But I remember reflecting on it a few weeks later once I saw the backlash from online forums, and then I genuinely felt horrible."

Sometimes I can't help but think that it can be good to address certain things if for no other reason than to show support or the lack of, .......to  just share a differing opinion or behavior I may think is valid enough for others to consider. I sometimes worry that the passive approach , although mature and entirely valid from a certain perspective, may not translate to some who may not understand the thinking behind this,  and allow certain behaviors to proliferate simply because it's the only thing being offered.

That wedding thing  is pretty funny though..... in the context of the video game world obviously.....

scott2000 said:
Ahahaha...That is pretty funny.....

What is interesting is when the writer said....

"But I remember reflecting on it a few weeks later once I saw the backlash from online forums, and then I genuinely felt horrible."

Sometimes I can't help but think that it can be good to address certain things if for no other reason than to show support or the lack of, .......to  just share a differing opinion or behavior I may think is valid enough for others to consider. I sometimes worry that the passive approach , although mature and entirely valid from a certain perspective, may not translate to some who may not understand the thinking behind this,  and allow certain behaviors to proliferate simply because it's the only thing being offered.
A common mistake is to believe that we can change other people's minds. 

We post to make ourselves feel good, sometimes looking for validation of our ideas by others.

I recall how hard it was when I was a kid to not blurt out every single thing on my mind... ::)  The older I get the easier it is to let stuff go.  8)  (I still post way too much.  :-[ )
That wedding thing  is pretty funny though..... in the context of the video game world obviously.....
The wedding attack was not the focus of my post, but enjoy. It's all good and the sugar helps the medicine go down..

JR

JohnRoberts said:
A common mistake is to believe that we can change other people's minds. 

I think people's minds can change from what they read online. Information...viewpoints and opinions.

How they verify that information is a different story.

Pizza is the best food in the world.... Anybody that thinks differently is sadly misguided....

lol

https://foodfreaksandgeeks.com/pizza-5-reasons-pizza-best-food-world/

http://www.debate.org/opinions/pizza-is-the-best-food-ever

Personally, I stay away from pizza. I haven't eaten pizza in such a long time. My diet consists of lots of mixed vege's, fruits and lean preferably grass fed meats...coupled with lots of exercise, etc. I do my utmost best to research clinical information pertaining to how I eat and live these days...

If trolls want to eat and serve pizza, it's on them.

desol said:
Personally, I stay away from pizza. I haven't eaten pizza in such a long time. My diet consists of lots of mixed vege's, fruits and lean preferably grass fed meats...coupled with lots of exercise, etc. I do my utmost best to research clinical information pertaining to how I eat and live these days...

If trolls want to eat and serve pizza, it's on them.

Excellent point and aptly written in a non-judgemental , easy for me to not get offended manner. We could all learn something from this type of dialog.

Thanks!

The pizza thing was a joke.....but it sure looks like a lot of people really like it...wow...I would've never guessed.....

desol said:
I think people's minds can change from what they read online. Information...viewpoints and opinions.

How they verify that information is a different story.

A big problem is that people's minds are changed more easily by emotion than by logical rational arguments.

Scientists / engineers / rational thinkers,  etc are not wanted on juries.  Nor in matters of political discourse.

I agree, and I've found that(usually) this is only a situation if they haven't learned to think critically or value objectivity.

desol said:
I agree, and I've found that(usually) this is only a situation if they haven't learned to think critically or value objectivity.
Thinking critically is important.

One difficult thing to grasp is that other people have different life experiences so will interpret identical events differently.  I like the diversity of opinion we get from our international membership here.  We want to think that if we just explain exactly what we see, others will follow in lockstep.  Regrettably it doesn't work that way, as everybody sorts the information through different filters.

There is a whole industry of TV talk shows trying to resonate with sundry audience segments. The co-ordination of political talking points with influence leaders reveals a concerted effort to influence mass markets with simple specific arguments.  I expect a large number appreciate being told what to think (I sure don't).

One thing I really like about electronics and physics, is it doesn't matter what the electrons "believe", they follow prescribed rules and laws.  Human behavior (like economics or politics) is not as neat. While the modern political environment doesn't even embrace hard science.  (I read a piece in the newspaper about how many published scientific findings  were not even reproducible.)

There is a great deal of thinking and writing about gaining influence and manufacturing sentiment. People seem truly shocked that sentiment was being manipulated during this last election, but that has been going on forever. They are just getting better tools (social media) and more sophisticated about doing it.

(Don't) ignore the man behind the curtain.

Interesting veer.

JR 

PS: Most people had an epiphany when they(we)  first realized that the new toy, didn't look or act the same as it did in the TV commercial. While some people never get it (or there wouldn't be any profit from spam).

JohnRoberts said:
There is a great deal of thinking and writing about gaining influence and manufacturing sentiment. People seem truly shocked that sentiment was being manipulated during this last election, but that has been going on forever. They are just getting better tools (social media) and more sophisticated about doing it.

Also and obviously, more hurtful and devious, which appears to increasingly appeal to an internet audience. Hiding behind computers mitigates accountability, and people are more inclined to respond to and exhibit rude behavior and opinions. As a Canadian, especially recent US politics and media-celebrity antics, comes off more and more akin to a circus show, so it's become difficult to even pay attention to it. Even the latest military strike in Syria has be turned into a media circus, despite the fact that people are dying.

To an already overexposed society, the circus show needs to be even more shocking and controversial. It's an increasingly viscous cycle...that I more or less choose to stay away from. Another example, not entirely related to politics, is how media is increasingly having to show graphic video and/or pictures to retain interest? I find it sicking to be honest. This was never the case even ten years ago.

On the topic of subjectivity vs objectivity...I have a saying that I like to use from time to time: "Subjectivity makes the world go round, but objectivity took us to the moon".

D.

"What is it doing to us?"

That's a question the majority of people won't ask themselves.

Between 1950 and 2000 the effectivity of placebo's doubled from roughly 25% to 50%. I think that's mainly because we have been taught to be polite. Or, in today's lingo: Politically correct.

We all know what happens with statistics if the noise floor is half of the signal. The meaningful data drowns in the noise...

It's a big problem for medical research. At least, they've noticed. It seems social sciences haven't yet. That's why they are churning out so many meaningless papers, imho.

JohnRoberts said:
Just like dumb people don't think they are dumb, trolls probably don't think they are trolls.
JR

I would say one of the highest levels of intelligence is being aware of what you don't know, or your own limits of smarts.
In a world that requires and rewards such focused expertise in individuals, it is hard for people to see outside of their own specialized domain and recognize their non-expertise in other areas.

dmp said:
I would say one of the highest levels of intelligence is being aware of what you don't know, or your own limits of smarts.
In a world that requires and rewards such focused expertise in individuals, it is hard for people to see outside of their own specialized domain and recognize their non-expertise in other areas.
From the little loved Donald Rumsfeld ....

Don sez said:
Now what is the message there? The message is that there are no "knowns." There are things we know that we know. There are known unknowns. That is to say there are things that we now know we don't know. But there are also unknown unknowns. There are things we do not know we don't know. So when we do the best we can and we pull all this information together, and we then say well that's basically what we see as the situation, that is really only the known knowns and the known unknowns. And each year, we discover a few more of those unknown unknowns.

Indeed we are born ignorant, and die ignorant, but hopefully a little less ignorant.

JR

Back